Fake Case 1943 M3

Bill Walters

Thanks Bill for pointing this one out. As Marv stated, the pommel says a lot about this one. Finish looks kinda like a Cold Blue, used to touch up firearms, but hard to tell from the available pics. SKIP

Skip, the stamping is also a fake.  Close comparison to an original blade dated Case shows this stamping to be a complete fake as is the blade.  The pommel is also a fake as the edges round off, different than an original Case.  The ordnance stamp is similar, but also different.  Bill

I've been getting more concerned with the improved quality of fake stampings on several pieces I've seen over the recent years.  Technology moves forward, and we have to keep up with the grifters.  This one isn't hard to spot as long as there is good reference material to compare the letters and numbers to.  

Bill- Had a difficult time deciding whether the stamp was legit or not. Did not dig out my Case blade-dated to compare. The pommel with the edges rounded off looked fabricated to me not even from a legit M3. Fakers are getting really good at what they do. Scared for the newer collectors. That's what I feel is our mission here on the forum,  help out the novices, and keep each other updated.  SKIP

Thanks for showing the difference between the font on the fake and the real M3.

It was a little hard winding the screen up and down to see what we were looking at so I have put them together for easier comparing.

Cheers.

FakeM3.jpg

M3.jpg

The stamping on the fake looks to be crooked or not parallel to the edge of the blade or the edge of the bevel.  It looks to go downhill as you read it to the right.

Lance 

This is one of the troubles with pictures.  The oblique angle that the picture was taken can give an effect That looks that way.  Without the actual item in front of you to examine, or specific training in photo interpretation we can be misled.

Like Marv said the most telling thing about the two knives is the different stamping tools that had to be used to make those letters and numbers.  The ones on the fake example are very uniform in construction, probably machine made.  The ones in the original knife are different.  At least with some of the letters, and IMHO I believe all the numbers/letters they look like the stamps were filed and cut out by hand.