ID'd Tintype Pair, Sgt. William J. Hurst, Company K, 3rd Ohio. Captured by N. B. Forrest

cylekostello

Recently snagged these ID’d ambros on eBay. I don’t collect Ohio images so this pair will probably be traded or sold but I love anything ID’d!

They depict Sgt. William John Hurst of Co. K, 3rd Ohio Vols. Sgt Hurst served from 61-64, fighting in W. Va, Kentucky, Alabama and Tennessee. Taking 30% casualties at Perryville, with more hard fighting at Stones River. The sixth plate is especially nice. Despite the solarization around the edges, the details remain sharp and clear. Taken in Huntsville in June 1862. Hurst sports an 1842 Springfield and an M1840 NCO Sword. If you look closely you can make out the sgt’s stripes on his sack coat.

He (and the rest of the 3rd) were captured by none other than Nathan Bedford Forrest. During Streight’s Raid. Spending a brief stint at Belle Island or Libby Prison. After being exchanged the 3rd would serve as garrison trips during the Siege of Chattanooga. Protecting the vital “Cracker Line”. They would muster out in the summer of 1864, prior to the Atlanta Campaign. After suffering 4 officers and 87 men KIA/DOW

Not sure if the 16th plate is Hurst, as the note accompanying it is comparatively modern. But I think there’s a chance of it being a more gaunt Hurst after a hard war.

7B3D225A-27A0-4312-87B5-998256AFA07C.jpeg

66480D0E-C08E-4C7C-AB13-C5AD88553239.jpeg

44D52F0B-23AD-42E5-9770-A422DB3FD3FC.jpeg

CCC94EF6-DA62-431D-8DA3-2E9E8FCC3A8E.jpeg