Is this medal naming correct? Post your engraving questions here!

Dave

Basic Rifleman

Thanks kcmo. It also appears to be a sterling planchet as well - or at least it's toned that way in the lightly worn areas. It was advertised as a WWII period item. This will be my last online medal purchase for a long time...

Brian Dentino
2 hours ago, Basic Rifleman said:

Thanks kcmo. It also appears to be a sterling planchet as well - or at least it's toned that way in the lightly worn areas. It was advertised as a WWII period item. This will be my last online medal purchase for a long time...

I would say your Hawkins medal is a privately engraved PH for sure.  Hard to say when but not a recognized official engraving type that I can see anyway.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:15 AM, S1991 said:

Also questionable? It doesn't look like the usual small machine engraving I'm used seeing on WWII KIA's.

Brother grouping to Tech. Sergeant Harold J. and Technician 5th Grade Donald G. Neidel, who served with the 96th Infantry Division and 4th Corps?

Again also sold by Centurion Auctions.

143328659_7_x.webp

143328659_17_x.webp

Well, I just bought the Neidel brothers group back after not owning them for 20 years!  Its too bad whoever owned these after me lost the immense pile of original documents and paperwork :(

Well this is a weird one I've just seen on eBay...

Engraved Purple Heart to 1st Lieutenant Joseph P. Mc Crone, who was KIA on November 11, 1944 in France while serving with the 35th Infantry Division, 137th Infantry Regiment.

Also of note is that he is a Silver Star recipient and Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster.

The engraving looks like it is a large machine engraved one. But for some reason I don't like it..

Anyone ever seen something similar?

Screenshot_20230117_205815_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_205822_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_205844_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_205856_eBay.jpg

Brian Dentino
4 hours ago, S1991 said:

Well this is a weird one I've just seen on eBay...

Engraved Purple Heart to 1st Lieutenant Joseph P. Mc Crone, who was KIA on November 11, 1944 in France while serving with the 35th Infantry Division, 137th Infantry Regiment.

Also of note is that he is a Silver Star recipient and Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster.

The engraving looks like it is a large machine engraved one. But for some reason I don't like it..

Anyone ever seen something similar?

Screenshot_20230117_205815_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_205822_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_205844_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_205856_eBay.jpg

I have NEVER seen an officially engraved PH with name and DATE.  I am guessing that this is a privately engraved PH medal...........but who knows when.  Either way I am pretty sure this is not officially engraved by the gov't.

Not offically engraved. Rank wouldn't be on there as well.  I owned the (2) Officially engraved KIA Purple Heart and Silver Star a few years ago. One of the 35th Division collectors have them now.

Just recently Picked this 4 Digit Numbered and Engraved SS in a great WWI lot
Think I got a great deal

Anyway everything fits with this but since I am still rather new to this
I figured I should post a photo

If authentic I suspect Dave may be interested since it has a DATED Authorization Card
The card is a photo copy and I assume the notations and NUMBER at top right was
entered at the time 2 / 14 / 1933
PLEASE NOTE the number 2945 at the top right of the card
I suspect this was the MEDAL NUMBER as I have his Numbered N.G. Boarder Medal
listed on another document in the same manor
PROBLEM IS the MEDAL is Numbered
I am thinking the engraver put the wrong number since it close

Please feel free to burst my bubble if you see anything that does not fit

Enjoy

30.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

Gazoo,

Your medal is undoubtedly an original and the engraving is exactly what one wants to see on one of these gems.

it is nice that you have the award card to go with the medal. You will find that on these and the Purple Heart medal award cards that the number in the top corner doesn't match the number on the medal. You will also note that the numbers are usually rather close- typically within 50 of the car and medal matching.

Thank you for sharing this. It is AWESOME!

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan H. said:

Gazoo,

Your medal is undoubtedly an original and the engraving is exactly what one wants to see on one of these gems.

it is nice that you have the award card to go with the medal. You will find that on these and the Purple Heart medal award cards that the number in the top corner doesn't match the number on the medal. You will also note that the numbers are usually rather close- typically within 50 of the car and medal matching.

Thank you for sharing this. It is AWESOME!

Allan

Thanks Allan

Your confirmation is very much welcome, Thanks
I wonder why the numbers being off is so common, ?  I suspect the engraver
would get a stack of 50 cards and medals and just start without matching
them up

Thanks again I was also lucky enough to get Photo copies of his Gallantry Citations
Again Photo copies but still great to see Now I need to find a image of the G.O.

He was actually sent Another Engraved Silver Star along with his replacement Purple Heart
IN 1978 interestingly the second SS looks to me a Meyer Un-numbered example
Sent after a General got involved and sent these PHOTOCOPIED documents along with his records of
injury in combat.

gallantry_certs.png

• 2 months later...

I agree looks to thin and sloppy, It is numbered, picture shown but not clear enough and not listed in the description
its been Ended due to listing error ?
ph.png.8bf9c71f41739c32623e969a6d95755e.png

Mike Kasper

Looks like the seller ended the listing. Oddly, he dropped the price to $480.00 just before ending it!  Perhaps, someone contacted him about the questionable engraving.

21 minutes ago, Mike Kasper said:

This seller is the same one that S1991 posted another PH about on January 17.

The search option here is not very good, searched the user name, PH and date NOTHING

Mike Kasper

GAZOO, scroll up close to the top of this page #10.   S1991's post is previous to my posting. Thanks for weighing in your thoughts!

• 4 weeks later...
ShibaLegend

Here's 2 medal's i would like to know about. Both good conduct's. Bought these for cheap out in the wild and i doubt there are many people trying to scam people with fake good conduct's. But still i would like to know if they're good. i would also like to know when both of the medal's were made.

Apologies if the pic's are a bit blurry.

1681603006990858221884058173934.jpg

16816030365601852381055140423528.jpg

16816031625661535155545705299259.jpg

On 3/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, Mike Kasper said:

This one just surfaced on Ebay.  To my novice eyes, the engraving looks a bit off and sloppy. Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134503386015?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=uMLM72v2Qc-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=aYG-lueoQq6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20230324_124329_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230324_000446_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230324_124345_eBay.jpg

Looks like it was sold awhile ago before by a dealer in the US.

Screenshot_20230416_135146_Samsung Internet.jpg

S.ChrisKelly

Just off the top of my head...

The U.S. Army engraves Good Conduct Medals, on the scroll on the reverse (that's why it's there, for the recipient's name) in a single-line standard font.  Top line, first name & middle initial, bottom line, last name.

My understanding is that it's regulation, when feasible, to engrave the recipient's name on the reverse of decorations.  It's supposed to be done, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

The Good Conduct Medals in post#241 are authentic examples.  The one with the slot brooch (to Enma Cook), likely, could be anytime, 1941-1965.  The other (to Rooy Ruble) looks modern (at the earliest, 1970s).  The engraving is typical of hat's supposed to be done, and is original to the medals.

• 1 month later...
USMarineCorps

Hi all,

Just came across this BS - PH pair on Ebay. They seem to be post 1975 reissued examples.

The only "Edward E McClellan" I found was a VN war KIA, but I can't say for sure whether these were his.

Any thoughts on the engraving? The BSM looks fine but the PHM looks off (especially the "W").

Fred

s-l1600-4.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 11.51.30.png

Hi Dave,  Here is a thread I started regarding a PH where someone scratched most of the name off.  As you'll see in the thread, one of our members found a newspaper article from WWII about someone with the same name.  The engraving looks Vietnam period, but I found in your book a WWII type that it may be?

Please have a look.  I'd love your opinion.  Link:  

• 2 months later...

The BBB hallmark is bad on this medal and so is the numbering . One has to conclude the engraving is too. 

IMG_0884.png

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

6 hours ago, KASTAUFFER said:

The BBB hallmark is bad on this medal and so is the numbering . One has to conclude the engraving is too. 

It appears all done with a laser engraver. It's bad enough I'm going to go wash my eyes with soap............. 😵

7 minutes ago, Dave said:

It appears all done with a laser engraver. It's bad enough I'm going to go wash my eyes with soap............. 😵

Maybe even lye?  

1 hour ago, KASTAUFFER said:

Maybe even lye?  

I don't know. I have some pretty strong soap...we'll see...