Is this medal naming correct? Post your engraving questions here!

Dave

24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Type 1 and type 2 hearts were awarded in Vietnam and WWII Army types awarded up through OIF, as I'm sure you know. I think it shows that there are no absolutes with these. The engraving looks good on them.

Yes, that is true, I am referring more about the engraving style, not the planchette type. I have type III engraved medals on Type I planchettes,

Kurt 

The Scarlet Pimpernel
8 minutes ago, KASTAUFFER said:

On the other hand this Purple Heart was engraved / issued in Nov 1945 . 

image.png.4599c9b1d808ed31a6cfbe6d91f7a84b.png

Nice medals Kurt! 

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Nice medals Kurt! 

Thanks, I really like Naval Aviation related Navy Groups.  

Double checking this KIA Marine on Tinian. Knowing lately lots of fake Marine Corps/Navy engraved medals have showed up..

So, whats your opinion on it?

Screenshot_20221204_100104_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221204_100122_Samsung Internet.jpg

The Scarlet Pimpernel

The engraving on all of these look fine. 

The Madokoro medals look like this same hand I believe. 

image.png.5834e781379b9ddb4f471954ac5636d8.png

Personally I would not bid on that 442 group…but that is just me…to each their own…I don’t believe this looks like the same hand as Morabito

60F8D467-CB09-46D5-AE6B-A11C9E61569C.jpeg

Does anyone have a group with a kia telegram with this color ink? Just curious trying to educate myself?

i would ask the auctioneer for details on those marine groups with Mothers pins also…are the mothers initials on the back?

EDA10C23-C7C4-4551-AF20-C6AD81A8F782.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Pete-o MSU said:

Does anyone have a group with a kia telegram with this color ink? Just curious trying to educate myself?

i would ask the auctioneer for details on those marine groups with Mothers pins also…are the mothers initials on the back?

Quite honestly.. I find all the groups by the auctioneer questionable. Mainly due the fact that one of the groups is a Nisei, the other a Silver Star recipient. And one is a Navy Cross recipient?

I might be mistaken but no doubt multiple people are watching the auction. 

Basic Rifleman
12 minutes ago, Pete-o MSU said:

are the mothers initials on the back?

I was thinking the same thing... An often overlooked, minute detail, but worth a ton in my opinion... Thanks for bringing that up.

The Scarlet Pimpernel
4 hours ago, Pete-o MSU said:

It's pretty hard to make a call on the color ink. It looks like dark purple. I've seen them where they were extremely faded, up to very dark, like they just put fresh ink in the printer heads, I've seen faded shades of black and a couple that were kind of a red/purple color. I'm sure if all the listed groups or any groups of medals that had the exact color purple printed, someone would say they were too identical. 

I have read and heard other collectors say, "this is why I don't post or publicly display my collection." I guess other guys can't have nice, rare items. People die, change focus, and others just move on from collecting Militaria for myriad reasons. When they do, incredible things see the light of day for the first time in years. 

I know about 4 extremely rare Colt Walkers that came out of an unknown collection, and nobody ever heard of the guy in that collecting circle. 

It's always good to be cautious when buying anything, no matter who is selling it. 

The Scarlet Pimpernel
4 hours ago, B24AT6 said:

Looking for opinions on this one, never have dipped my toe into the USMC pond, so not as familiar with what to look for as I would like to be.

A9671D5D-0612-4797-9453-238BDB64F01E.jpeg.70a37b5e7e22faf52c5c722150315342.jpeg

E00FCB40-232B-4F4E-B9B7-0A5F0945ACE8.jpeg.3cb5f9435f5dfdd21989d8d9ef7e6494.jpeg

Looks like a nice slant engraving style on a Navy/USMC type 2, wrapped brooch heart. It's also in the correct, short titled case.

Basic Rifleman
On 12/4/2022 at 4:09 AM, S1991 said:

Double checking this KIA Marine on Tinian. Knowing lately lots of fake Marine Corps/Navy engraved medals have showed up..

So, whats your opinion on it?

Screenshot_20221204_100104_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221204_100122_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm not an expert on medal engravings, but it does seem a little odd to me there's significant wear on the reverse of the Silver Star Medal planchet, and the ribbon drape is super crisp and looks like it could have never been worn.

The Scarlet Pimpernel
20 minutes ago, Basic Rifleman said:

I'm not an expert on medal engravings, but it does seem a little odd to me there's significant wear on the reverse of the Silver Star Medal planchet, and the ribbon drape is super crisp and looks like it could have never been worn.

It wouldn't have been worn, at least by Hovey. He was KIA. For some reason these Navy/USMC Silver Stars and early Army types show more wear and darkening than the later Army types. 

Basic Rifleman

Yeah... I probably should have phrased that differently.... I do know the KIA medal group would not have been worn by the recipient. I'm also aware there is toning or patina that forms on some of these earlier SSM's; I have several. I was just trying to verbalize my thoughts about what appears to be inconsistent wear or aging between the medal and the drape in the case of the Hovey group. I should have also likely not commented in this particular thread about anything other than the medal engravings.... I'll haze myself later:)

The Scarlet Pimpernel
35 minutes ago, Basic Rifleman said:

Yeah... I probably should have phrased that differently.... I do know the KIA medal group would not have been worn by the recipient. I'm also aware there is toning or patina that forms on some of these earlier SSM's; I have several. I was just trying to verbalize my thoughts about what appears to be inconsistent wear or aging between the medal and the drape in the case of the Hovey group. I should have also likely not commented in this particular thread about anything other than the medal engravings.... I'll haze myself later:)

Ha! No worries.

Fools rush in, yada, yada.  I'll go first, knowing 50/50 chance the PH experts see things differently, and of course, their opinion on PH engraving much more weight than mine.   I'm thumbs down if its a stand alone item without  ironclad provenance like out of the woodwork,  or other really strong corroborating material.    It seems like an unsure hand with uneven pressure.  The two low case "O"s for comparison don't look at all similar as I'd expect from a skilled engraver who's been laying down letters all day on lots of medals.   All the letters look sloppy to me.  That second "O" looks really bad.  The characters, particularly the PVT have an overall look reminiscent to me of the faux Egyptian Hieroglyphics using the Western alphabet.   IMFO.   Next...

Here's Fiedor's actual, issued, Purple Heart. The one above is not official engraving. That said, did someone in the family have a second one made for another person? I have a group in my book where there were two unofficial PHs made by the family and then one official Purple Heart. Are the others "fakes"? No, they're just privately engraved. The issue with this one comes in with provenance. For that one group, all of the medals stayed together through the years and thus, they had good provenance as coming from the family. When you have one randomly pop up...there's no clue where it came from.

Note also, a medal engraved like this, privately, is different than a second official issue medal for the next of kin. Different topic, and those did happen, fairly frequently as I've seen. This is not one of them. 

Hope that helps!

Screenshot_79.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, KASTAUFFER said:

I would love to get everybody’s opinions on this group. Seems odd to me this is a type II medal when his official date of death is August 1946. It should be a type III with plain engraving. 

CD3FA769-ABF7-4167-97C5-B4B8F940F4EC.jpeg

41E0B834-5119-4ABD-82AC-76944C821D0A.jpeg

421D2A1A-5A7B-4829-A19A-10E183995A69.jpeg

The auction for this group just closed at $1900 .   A group without "issues" would have sold for MUCH more.