WWII 57th Station Hospital Guidon

jayhawkhenry

I was pleased to add the Guidon of the US Army 57th Station Hospital to my collection.  The only information seller could give was "it came out of southern Ohio."

The 57th Station Hospital was a 250 bed hospital housed in tents and huts, 19 Mar 43 – 5 May 43 Algeria – 15 Jul 44 - 5 May 1945 Tunisia, North Africa.   It was deactivated 15 May 1945.  Little information has turned up on the 57th.  I did find one veteran's memories and info on another.

According to Staff Sergent Frank Sisulak, in his recollections, the men treated at the hospital were bomber crewmen who flew missions over Italy and Germany.“We were always near an airport and took care of the bombers that came back after they dropped their bombs over Germany,” Sisulak said. “We’d watch them as they left, and then watch when they’d come back to see if anyone was missing.”

Col. Annie Graham, one of 8 nurses killed in Vietnam, served in the 57th, as a young Lieutenant in North Africa. 

The Guidon is wool with a OD green reinforced shaft socket.  Leather tabs are present at both ends.  A Philadelphia Quartermaster label dated 1941 is present.  It is battered and beaten, with a small section missing. 

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG