American Mounted Volunteers - Womens Ordnance Workers

Chris

There have been a couple threads regarding the often misidentified "Military Order of Guards" patch. Additionally, Vance Zemke did a short article in the June-Sept. 2015 issue of the Trading Post, explaining that this was, in essence, a group of individuals that formed a military-like organization, wore Army style uniforms, and were totally without any authorization to do so. Allegedly, they eventually came under the scrutiny of the FBI over their use of Army uniforms. Probably, in an attempt to distance themselves from any bad press about running afoul of the authorities, they underwent a name change; at least in some cases. I don't think it has ever been established how many "chapters" of this group existed, or what states they were active in. But, they were definitely active in Chicago. Interestingly, what little evidence currently exists seems to indicate that this was, if not exclusively, at least largely, a womens' organization.

The shoulder patch most often identified with this group is in the first image and bears letters standing for: United States Military Order of Guards. However, a recent acquisition of material allows me to add a little bit to the body of knowledge surrounding this organization, or at least an off-shoot of it, at least during the WWII period. And, I think, sanctioned or not, they certainly qualify as a legitmate piece of Home Front patriotic history and spirit. They definitely generated uniforms and insignia that are original to the period, and deserving of collector interest in their own right - particularly for those collecting Home Front and womens material.

Among the items I acquired are numerous photographs, ID cards, patches and insignia belonging to member Lilian Kramer, of Chicago. There are three ID cards showing her as having the ranks of private, sergeant, and lieutenant (2nd image). The first two cards have "MILITARY ORDER OF GUARDS" across the top, as well as the USMOG patch. They establish the USMOG Headquarters as being in Chucago. They are undated. The third card, showing her as a lieutenant, can be assumed to be the latest card issued and it is 1943 dated. So, the first two cards are obviously 1943 or earlier. The third card has changed so that across the top it says "The Mounted Patrol" and instead of the USMOG patch design, it has a black horsehead within a circle. 

The first two cards show her as being assigned to "2nd Cav. Reg. 2nd Div.". The third card shows her assignment to be "1st Regt.". Clearly, the group uses a military rank and organizatiinal structure. The Cavalry designation makes sense because many of the photos show these uniformed women on horseback (image 3).

There is a marksmanship badge in the lot that closely resembles a Army marksmanship badge - in both shape and size. It has a "PISTOL" bar hanging below. But, it is made from a bronze like metal and has the USMOG patch design in the center. The first I have ever seen (image 4). There is a photo showing Lilian in an Army style shirt with private chevrons and overseas cap. She is wearing this markmanship badge and has a USMOG shoulder patch, along with a smaller version of the patch on her cap (image 5).

One of the most interesting items is a photo of several women, two in uniform, that has the following across the bottom: "Mills Cavalry Troop, composed of WOWs of Post 12, first to join the American Mounted Volunteers as a complete troop" (image 6). "WOWs" were women ordnance workers. So, this troop is made up solely of women who were already serving their country in ordnance production and decided to form this patriotic, para- military equestrian group. The American Mounted Volunteer patch can be seen being worn on the caps and shirts in image 7. The USMOG patch seems to have disappeared. Lilian is at far left. She has no rank insignia on her sleeves. She is probably a lieutenant at this point and is posing with WOW "recruits".

There are photos of women in uniform both marching in formation and riding horses in a parade(s). Obviously, they were not being shy about wearing their uniforms in public. Furthermore, the fact that they are parade participants, suggests that the community embraced them. It is hard to reconcile why a group, that ran into trouble with the FBI for wearing uniforms, would change their name and insignia and go back into the limelight in uniform again? Much has yet to be learned about these folks.

In some photos smaller insignia are visible on the caps and shirts, but I cannot make them out. One, however, is a light colored disk with black horsehead that is being worn on overseas caps (the same design as on the third ID card). There is no doubt that the group has additional insignia. Perhaps this post will generate some follow-on posts with more info about this obscure group. 

Nevertheless, I think they are a legitimate chapter in our WWII Home Front legacy.

20220830_080404.jpg

20220830_080559.jpg

20220830_133848.jpg

20220830_080515.jpg

20220830_080719.jpg

20220830_080624.jpg

20220830_080755.jpg