Bauer & Black Brass Tinned First Aid Packet

pwcosol

Went to a estate sale on Thursday and found this first aid packet in a small, plastic seal bag labeled "Old First Aid Kit $40.00". I looked it over and was miffed to see it priced at what it was. I made a inquiry and one of the estate crew said the price was likely established by searching out comparable items on Ebay. In my view it was overly optimistic, stated as such and learned on Saturday all remaining items were reduced to half-price. Knowing the packet was going nowhere, I stopped by on Saturday morning after returning from the swap meet, spoke to the head of the estate crew and it went home with me for $15.00. With a contract date of August, 1918, it never saw use overseas use in the First World War. Undoubtedly these remained in the US Army supply chain for some time. Might such a kit have been issued in the early years of WW2? This one appears to have a khaki overpaint to the brass and certainly looks like it was fielded at some time. Thoughts welcome...

B and B Brass Tin Bandage obv.JPG

B and B Brass Tin Bandage rev.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Most of this type of expendable supply was replaced gradually at time passed. This style of container could have easily still been in storerooms at the start of WWII.