US 5th Army Britsh 8th Army Ike Jacket

776thamtrac

776thamtrac

Here are a couple of pics of an Ike jacket and other items that came from a long time resident of my hometown in Iowa. Also as a side note this man had a brother who was KIA in Europe. Lots of photos and letters of the two in the scrapbook.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t110/wi...Snetselaar2.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t110/wi...Snetselaar1.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t110/wi...Snetselaar3.jpg

post-1-1174760732.jpg

post-1-1174760741.jpg

post-1-1174760748.jpg

Hi,

Very nice Ike! A long overseas haved this 'DOC', no? Maybe from North Africa to Po Valley.

I received in this week one class A uniform from SGT ex-5th Army veteran and 10th Mountain Division ... a 'Doc' too!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

776thamtrac

Yes Ricardo you're very right! He did have a very long time overseas. As well as a reenlistment. I just love that 8th army patch. The black and white are felt. and the yellow is a realy nice braided cord. Not very clear in the photo's. Anyway being from someone I knew well growing up it is all the more special. One of my favorite Army pieces.

Hi,

Very nice Ike! A long overseas haved this 'DOC', no? Maybe from North Africa to Po Valley.

I received in this week one class A uniform from SGT ex-5th Army veteran and 10th Mountain Division ... a 'Doc' too!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Hi,

I already some images of british soldiers using the 5th American Army patche in Italy. The fact of your US uniform possess an English patch is very nice and I never had seen one.

Thank you for sharing! thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

776thamtrac

Hey Ricardo,

Very nice looking uniform you have there! As for the no mountain tab, I can only say that I have seen the 10th Division Patch without the tab only on post war uniforms. When the 10th was a training Division at Ft. Riley, Kansas. I'm by no means an expert here so maybe someone else can shed more light on the lack of a tab for us?

Hi,

I already looked some images of members of the 10th Mountain Division not using tabs "Mountain" in the uniforms during the WW2.

I have a theory: I believe that members of other units that had been transfered for 10th Division that they did not have the original mountain training did not use tab "Mountain" patch in its uniforms.

What they find?

PS. notice -> the uniform dont have the Ruptured Duck patche and WW2 Victory ribbon = pre end of WW2.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Thanks! thumbsup.gif

One WW2 Color image example ... 10th Mountain Div in Italy Front.

Look the "Doc" patch --> right side of image

mountaintabml7.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

There you have it, the proof is in the pictures! Very cool pics by the way

Thanks Mate!

Picture from "U.S. Army Photo ALBUM" Book by Histoire & Colections - John Gawne - 1996 - France - Page 69.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

Another 'Ike' jacket from 10th Mountain Divison in Brazilian Veterans Museum in Rio de Janeiro City - Brazil:

uniforme10demontanhaxu6.jpg

Notice: no "Mountain" tab.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

• 4 months later...

If you have NAMED 10th Mountain uniforms (or good laundry marks), let me know, as I keep archives on 32,000+ soldiers who served in the Division from 1941 to 1945. Names, rank, awards, wounds, etc

the Mountain tabs were issued about the time the guys rotated home in July & August '45 - there were some homemade ones seen - a few officers got them from home in March & April, but almost nobody had them in Italy. When returned to Ft Carson, CO, many of the guys were shipped to other units to be mustered out, and didn't get a full new uniform before reassignment - again, tabs were not freely available.

Ricardo - care to trade an original FEB patch for an original 1st issue Mountain tab?

If you have NAMED 10th Mountain uniforms (or good laundry marks), let me know, as I keep archives on 32,000+ soldiers who served in the Division from 1941 to 1945. Names, rank, awards, wounds, etc

the Mountain tabs were issued about the time the guys rotated home in July & August '45 - there were some homemade ones seen - a few officers got them from home in March & April, but almost nobody had them in Italy. When returned to Ft Carson, CO, many of the guys were shipped to other units to be mustered out, and didn't get a full new uniform before reassignment - again, tabs were not freely available.

Ricardo - care to trade an original FEB patch for an original 1st issue Mountain tab?

Dave,

I have an Italian made mountain tab.I figure these to be made at the end of the war.I figured these were done to be worn home.I also have a small grouping that came out of Colorado a few years ago.I believe the guy was named Menedez and may have been a 1stSgt.Thanks for your input.Take care.

RON

• 2 years later...
Hi All,

Another 'Ike' jacket from 10th Mountain Divison in Brazilian Veterans Museum in Rio de Janeiro City - Brazil:

uniforme10demontanhaxu6.jpg

Notice: no "Mountain" tab.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

The image againg:

UNIFORME10DEMONTANHA.jpg

Hi,

I already some images of british soldiers using the 5th American Army patche in Italy. The fact of your US uniform possess an English patch is very nice and I never had seen one.

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Here's a 21st Army British-12th AG ike.

post-5658-1265942734.jpgpost-5658-1265942965.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Very interesting uniforms...I have always been curious about the small number of GIs that served under another flag and then in the US Army. I take it the British awards would be authorized to wear, is the patch authorized as well? Why might these be lacking the British awards? Or are these patches for some sort of joint service?

Very interesting indeed, I would love to have an example like these in my collection.

Rob