Great Uncle-WW1 Veteran-2nd Infantry Division.

RANDALL 1953

RANDALL 1953

My Great Uncle immigrated to the USA in 1913 from Belarus. During the first world war he joined the 2nd Infantry Division and fought in France where he was gassed by the Germans and survived to be 70 years old. The only thing that I can remember him telling me is how much he hated the German machine guns. Any ideas on how I can find more information about him. Somewhere I have a photo of him in uniform. If I can find it I will add it to this.

RANDALL 1953

Thanks very much, I guess that is all the information I can get as the records for US soldiers in WW1 were destroyed by a fire at the national archives.

postmanusnac
12 hours ago, RANDALL 1953 said:

Thanks very much, I guess that is all the information I can get as the records for US soldiers in WW1 were destroyed by a fire at the national archives.

So you know he shows up in the muster reports and the ship manifest as Wasil Welimuk (same as 1920 census).

He enlisted August 1, 1917.  He left the US on September 7, 1917 and arrived in France on the 20th.

He would serve and return to the US with Co. B, 23rd Infantry Regiment.

RANDALL 1953

postmanusnac, Thank you so very much for the information, I would never believe that I would get info on him. He was a quiet person and never really talked about the war or his time in the service with others but did answer questions when I asked him.. He also was single and never married..

He is listed in the Connecticut Service Records for WW1 under Suffield, CT (Volume III, page 2597).  Attached PDF is his entry.  His service number (49874) yielded only one document -- incoming passenger roster for his return from France, below.

Dennis

Welimuk Incoming Passenger Roster.jpg

Welimuk_Connecticut Servicemen 1917-1920 Vol 3_Pg 2597.pdf