9mm US Made Ammo in WWII?

I HAVE SOME ALSO.IM SURE THERE WAS A NEED FOR IT WITH ALL THE CATURED GERMAN WEAPONS

UED FOR TRAINING.THE OSS COMES TO MIND AS WELL AS THE LEND LEASE PROGRAM AS THE CANADIANS AND BRITS USED 9MM ALSO.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

The Browning Hi-Power in 9MM, was used by the Allies, including the OSS in WWII. I was issued a late 40's early 50's Hi Power as late as the early 90's.

danshanower.jpg

R.I.P. Commander Dan Shanower, KIA 9/11/01

"Freedom Isn't Free" US Naval Institute, Proceedings, 1997

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

I found some U.S. manufactured 9 mm ammo that is supposed to be WWII era. I did not think we had a 9 mm weapon in WWII? I have not purchased it yet. Anybody have a comment? riverok

Hello Riverok:

Yes, there was USGI 9mm ammunition manufactured in the USA during WW2. It was manufactured for the government by Winchester Repeating Arms Co. and by Western Cartridge Co. It's nomenclature was M1. The Western ammo came in brown kraft boxes. I have seen WRA 9mm ammo in white boxes marked "For Use In Submachine Guns Only", which may be the WRA WW2 ammo or may be later production.

The firearm this ammo was originally intended for was the M3A1 Submachine gun in 9mm. This was the standard M3A1 with a different bolt, magazine and barrel. Some of this 9mm ammo is reported to have been used by the OSS and by British Commonwealth Forces under Lend Lease terms.

Perhaps you give us some more information on the ammo you are considering. Who made it, what does the box look like, and what is the cartridge headstamp?

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

About 40 years ago, I used to buy that "For use in sub machine guns only" 9mm white box WRA ammo for about $3.00 a box at the shooting range I used to go to. It was a bit cheaper than regular factory new stuff, but performed beautifly. I was told then that it was WW2 stuff that we supplied to the British for their STEN guns. I must have shot up dozens of boxes then, now wish I had saved a few boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, US made a lot of 9mm ammo for brittons and their Sten SMG and for european resistance, being a lot of M3 SMG in 9mm dropped together Stens. In my youth I had the occasion to examine an M3 and I found that they painted a red spot on the base of recoil springs group (to avoid use with .45 gun) and an adapter was placed inside to use sten magazines on this gun. I can still remember than in reassemblying the crank lever group I got the extremity of the wire spring deep under my index nail.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.