German WW1 Mail Home Helmet

JS1

Hi all, 

I like to present a German WW1 helmet, mailed home by Pvt Richard Lang. I had so much help from several forum members to identify the US soldier who mailed home this Germany WW1 helmet, I copy and pasted some of the info I received  below. :)   Thanks to everyone !!!   

I hope to find a photo one day of Pvt Richard Lang.  

The helmet is marked Si66, so made by Eisenhütte Silesia, Paruschowitz, Oberschlesien. They made only size 62 and 66.  The helmet is named for Gefreiter Brenner 8 Cie of the 9th Württemberger Infantry-Regiment Nr. 127, which belonged to the 242th Division. "The 242nd Infantry Division (242. Infanterie-Division) was a division of the Imperial German Army during World War I. The division was formed on January 16, 1917, and was part of the last large wave of new divisions created during World War I. The division was assembled over the next two months from elements from other units. Its core was the 9. Württembergisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 127, a regular infantry regiment from the Kingdom of Württemberg, as well as a brigade headquarters from a regular Württemberg infantry division. To this were added two newly raised Württemberg infantry regiments, along with cavalry, artillery, engineers and support units. The division was considered a Württemberg infantry division and received its initial troops and replacements from that kingdom. The division entered the trenchline in a quiet sector of Lorraine in March 1917, and after a period of orientation, was sent to fight in the Second Battle of the Aisne, also called the Third Battle of Champagne. It spent the rest of 1917 and the first part of 1918 in positional warfare near Reims and in a defensive fight near Verdun. In 1918, the division participated in the German spring offensive, in the region of Montdidier-Noyon. The division was on the defensive thereafter, including during the Allied Hundred Days Offensive.[1][2] The division was demobilized in 1919. In 1917, Allied intelligence rated the division a good division with high morale, but by 1918 it was rated a third class division." (Source Wikipedia)

The helmet was mailed home by Pvt. Richard J. Lang. Richard J. Lang. Drafted at Mount Vernon NY in October 1917 and sent overseas in January 1918. He returned to the US in June 1919 with his brother's address in Nanuet, NY listed on the passenger list. He served overseas with Motor Truck Company 364 November 1917 - May 1918, then Motor Truck/Transport Company 359 until discharge.

In the US, many young college men - and even high schoolers - volunteered during WWI to drive ambulances for the French Army. One of the largest volunteers groups was the American Field Service (AFS). France's needs were great and their supply of able-bodied men dwindling, and one of the greatest needs was truck (camion) drivers to deliver to the Front what was needed. AFS volunteers were asked to join that cause, and some did as early as 1915. The Americans served under a French Major Mallet, who commanded a Reserve. When the US entered the war, the Reserve was augmented by US soldiers. They were a part of the Motor Transport Corps (MTC), and racked up an outstanding record.

In order to reach the approximately 1300 US Army personnel that ultimately represented the average daily strength of the American Mission, several US Army Motor Supply Trains arriving in France in 1918 were assigned to the Reserve. First to arrive was the 408th MST in early February, then the 407th MST in two batches (most arriving in mid-February but one company arriving mid-March), and finally the 409th MST in late March. The 408th came from Camp Sherman, Ohio, and consisted of Motor Truck Companies 365 through 370. The 407th arrived with MT Cos. 359 through 364 and was based out of Camp Upton, New York. The 409th came from Camp Custer, Michigan, but its full complement wasn’t assigned to the Reserve and only MT Cos. 372, 373, and 374 joined. Eight provisional truck companies (A through H) were formed as well from excess personnel in the MSTs and other replacements. These provisional units were later given company numbers 837 through 844 respectively after the war had ended. A separate numbered MT Co., 826, was also formed. The 826th was manned by personnel culled from a replacement draft pulled out of the 1st Anti-Aircraft Battalion (primarily California troops) already in Europe and these resources were assigned to the Reserve Mallet in June. As for the 304 AFS enlisted volunteers, they were mixed in with all the Groupes. Thus the 24 Motor Truck Companies (name later changed to Motor Transport Companies starting October 1918) were 359 to 370, 372 to 374, 826, and Provisional Companies A to H (837 to 844). Approximately 2100 Americans served in the Reserve Mallet at some point during the period May 1917 – March 1919. This total includes the original 800 AFS personnel.  The 359th was part of Groupement 8, Croupe Wilcox.

The mail home post label inside the helmet reads:

Pvt Richard J. Lang       Soldiers Mail

Motor Truck Co 359

Reserve Mallet...

Convoi .....

The mail address in the US : 

M.....

Nanuet

Rockland

New York, USA

2036 germ ww1 helmet.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-001.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-002.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-003.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-004.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-005.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-006.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-007.jpg

2036 germ ww1 helmet-008.jpg

2036 WW1 germ helm COLLAGE.jpg

dhcoleterracina

It's nice that the address was pasted on the inside and protected. In the old days collectors would remove the letter on the outside because it detracted from the look or with handling the information was gone.  Great helmet, unusual camo. 

I really like the mail home helmets from WWI! This has the bonus of being a camo and having most of the liner as well as some history! Nice piece!

Frank

It’s amazing that these helmets weren’t stolen on the way home.

In WW2 there was a big souvenir theft trend.

Ive talked to hundreds of vets who shipped things home only to receive an empty box or nothing at all.

I lived in Gettysburg for a few years back in the mid 70s and hung out a lot with the late George Marinos ( much to his annoyance) at his shop near Culps Hill.

One day a guy pulls up in a station wagon and the back of it is full of German stuff.

During the course of unloading the subject of how he got all this stuff comes up.

He was in the office of the Post Master at camp Lucky Strike and changed addresses on packages he liked.

He was proud if it.

I never met a WWI vet who had his souvenirs stolen.

This is not a scientific study but it seams like WW2 had more thieves.