Question About 100 Mission Patch

VMI88

I picked up a100 Mission patch for the B-52H, with "North Dakota" embroidered above. These are a little out of my area but the patch struck me as unusual. It seems to be Thai-made, but obviously North Dakota would refer to Minot Air Base. How would an airman based in North Dakota get a Thai-made patch? For that matter, do airmen even wear mission patches for stateside missions?  My service and collecting focus are Army so I don't know much about Air Force flight suit patch etiquette. 

I suppose someone could have picked the patch up while TDY to Thailand, or had a friend send it to them. Has anyone ever seen one like this? I searched this forum and the web but couldn't find my similar examples. Everything is I found online was embroidered Viet Nam or S. E. A. or Hanoi. Maybe I'm just trying to read too much into it but it seems a little out of the ordinary. 

16613807210293350369825167377632.jpg

1661380754227775469398628272246.jpg

This happened a lot. Yes, it's Thai and most likely from Minot. During the SEA war, B-52 crews from all units rotated to SEA, so easy to get this stuff made. My dad flew on BUFFs and went over 6 times between 66-73. This is just some humor that someone had made up instead of the normal North Vietnam, they used North Dakota. The B-52H model was not deployed even if the crews were, those were kept back for nuclear alert duty. I have quite a few other humorous variations on this theme myself. They might have been worn during a unit function or some such, like Friday at the bar. regular use would have normally not been permitted. Hope that helps explain it.

Randy

On 8/25/2022 at 5:31 PM, Randy said:

This happened a lot. Yes, it's Thai and most likely from Minot. During the SEA war, B-52 crews from all units rotated to SEA, so easy to get this stuff made. My dad flew on BUFFs and went over 6 times between 66-73. This is just some humor that someone had made up instead of the normal North Vietnam, they used North Dakota. The B-52H model was not deployed even if the crews were, those were kept back for nuclear alert duty. I have quite a few other humorous variations on this theme myself. They might have been worn during a unit function or some such, like Friday at the bar. regular use would have normally not been permitted. Hope that helps explain it.

Randy

Thanks for the great explanation - that makes a lot of sense. Probably something bought for a party suit. 

I'm sure the group would love to see some of your humorous patches! 

I guess I could add a few here. BTW, if you're looking to trade that one let me know! Anyway, here's some others...

1) 78 missions Thai made

2) F-100 from the 127 TFS Kansas ANG, Korean made when they were deployed there during the Pueblo Crisis in 1968.

3) SEA "hardship" tour, flying into Japan the whole war. Japan made.

4) F-105 39 1/2 Missions. Pilot was shot down on mission 40. Patch was given to him after his 6 year stay in the Hanoi Hilton by a squadron mate. Thai made.

78 missions nvn.jpg

127tfs f100 100 nw.jpg

100 tokyo.jpg

f105 39.5 nvn.jpg

Yeah, mine too. There is a lot of history behind that one. That's the reason I like these, the stories behind them. Many in my collection come right from the vets. It makes things much more better.

Randy