Is there a good dealer for repro crusher caps

cutiger83

I have searched the forum and do not see this topic. If it has already been discussed please forgive me.

Is there a good dealer for reproduction USAAF crusher caps? I have been trying to find a good one. I would rather buy from a reputable dealer than e-bay. Is there a good dealer for authentic WWII crusher caps instead of getting a repro? What do any of you think? I saw a good one on the History Preservation website but they are sold out.

Thanks for any assistance....Kat

• 4 weeks later...
Pathfinder_1CAV
I have searched the forum and do not see this topic. If it has already been discussed please forgive me.

Is there a good dealer for reproduction USAAF crusher caps? I have been trying to find a good one. I would rather buy from a reputable dealer than e-bay. Is there a good dealer for authentic WWII crusher caps instead of getting a repro? What do any of you think? I saw a good one on the History Preservation website but they are sold out.

Thanks for any assistance....Kat

The best manufacturer of AAF Crusher hats apparently and unfortunately, quit making the caps in 2007. You can go to this web site: http://www.historypreservation.com/hpassoc...nlanding7_2.php, they carry some of the last OD and kahki crushers made by Lancaster.

If they are sold out, the next best place to get a real-to-life repro is Eastman Leather at http://www.eastmanleather.com/Crushcapmont.htm. Eastman makes the crusher with the soft foldable visor. Hope this helps.

Pathfinder_1CAV

• 5 years later...
SocietyBrandHatCo

Kat,

We make AAF crusher caps with both the regulation 2-ply visor and the single ply "Flighter" style visor.

For the price of a repro I would spend a bit more and get an original that will gain value.

That is, unless you plan on wearing it.... And unless you need 'mint'.

A mint one could run you ~$300 or more. Unless you're lucky.

-Brian

I'm talking like near-unissued mint crusher.. of a desired brand like Flighter etc..

If you have some like that.. then yes that's what they're bringing.

-Brian

501stGeronimo

I'm talking like near-unissued mint crusher.. of a desired brand like Flighter etc..

If you have some like that.. then yes that's what they're bringing.

-Brian

Yes I know what you are talking about. I've had enough unissued examples and barely get 200.00 at shows. That must be ebay prices.

SocietyBrandHatCo

At Show of Shows last year the average price for a crusher cap (truly crushable caps, not simply caps with the stiffener removed) was around $200 - $250 for less collectible makers, and $300+ for the big names like Flighter, Luxenberg, etc. Ebay can be even pricier. And those are prices for caps in average condition (couple of moth holes, loose stitching around sweatband, etc.). A mint condition Flighter in the box recently sold on ebay for more than $800 (it was a postwar cap too, with the patent stamp).

With prices like that, even those who are fortunate to own original crusher caps are often hesitant to wear them. And if you're like me, there's no way I'm ever going to be able to fit my noggin into one of those original size 7 caps. Folks with these kind of concerns are who we tailor to.