General's trunk from Chateaux Air Force Base (France) - Location ?

Vertol

Hello,

I've found one of the trunks of the 4 stars General Joe Kelly (USAF), dated 1962, which was sent to "Châteaux AFB - France" (plywood still in restoration).

However, I'm unable to locate it, the only approaching name I've found was "Châteauroux". Does anyone have the real location of this AFB ?

Thank you.

Regards,

Vertol

30 minutes ago, Vertol said:

Hello,

I've found one of the trunks of the 4 stars General Joe Kelly (USAF), dated 1962, which was sent to "Châteaux AFB - France" (plywood still in restoration).

However, I'm unable to locate it, the only approaching name I've found was "Châteauroux". Does anyone have the real location of this AFB ?

Thank you.

Regards,

Vertol

do you have a picture?

Châteauroux-Déols Air Base (IATA: CHR, ICAO: LFLX) is a former United States Air Force base in France. It is located in the Indre département of France, located about 3 miles (5 km) northeast of Châteauroux and about 1 mile (1.6 km) northeast of Déols on the east side of the Départemental 920 (D920) (Indre) road in Central France.

During the Cold War, Châteauroux-Déols was a front-line base for the United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE). The USAF base at Châteauroux-Déols actually consisted of two separate facilities about five miles apart, Châteauroux-Déols Air Depot (CHAD) and La Martinerie Airdrome. The base was home to some 8,000 Americans between 1951 and 1967.

Châteauroux-Déols Air Base | Military Wiki | Fandom https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Châteauroux-Déols_Air_Base

One of his first tasks as the new MATS commander in 1960 was to supervise a massive mercy airlift to Chile where he had served 20 years earlier as a member of the U.S. Military Mission. He was then a captain.

Since then the general has completed a tour of most MATS bases in the United States, Far East, Europe, Africa and the Middle East to study first hand his command in action. He also has inspected MATS operations in Antarctica on Operation Deep Freeze 1962 and has been on the scene of several long-range airlift exercises to see the giant airlift aircraft he commands, at work.

During these and other trips he has compiled nearly 1,700 hours in the air, bringing his service total to nearly 9,700 flying hours.

He has guided MATS through the long-term Congo Airlift of troops and supplies for the United Nations, and through complex airlift requirements during the October 1962 Cuban crisis buildup.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/106619/general-joe-w-kelly/

6 hours ago, Fratlanta said:

do you have a picture?

https://media.defense.gov/2007/Mar/07/2000509519/-1/-1/0/070307-F-JZ504-265.JPG