Female name engraved on Purple Heart Medal find at flea market

Tonomachi

Tonomachi

I got real lucky this morning at the flea market.  I paid 5 dollars for this shadow box from a Spanish speaking only vender who probably got it at a garage sale from the liquidation of the estate of a Patricia A. Dewhirst who passed away in 1998.   In the photo in the upper right hand corner you can make out the US Army Master Sergeant's name of O. Cason.   The name engraved on the back of the Purple Heart is Helen M. Cason.  I found both names on Find-A-Grave below:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/3391599/oscar-odell-cason

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/72468622/helen-matilda-cason

The entries on Find-A-Grave shows Helen M. Cason as having served during WW2 in the Air Force which I'm guessing is when she was wounded.

Their daughter was identified as Patti Dewhirst.  She lived 45 minutes from my residence so this is where the mentioned vendor probably obtained the shadow box.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/38258034/patricia-ann-dewhirst

Why the family would want to get rid of this piece of history is puzzling. 

DSCF2943.JPG

DSCF2945.JPG

DSCF2946.JPG

DSCF2944.JPG

DSCF2941.JPG

DSCF2942.JPG

LuftStalg1

You can not get a better deal then that, except free.  What a great research opportunity.  Congrats!

The engraving is privately done. There's no record of her ever having served in ther Armed Forces, however her husband, Oscar Odell Cason, served in the Army and was awarded the BSM and PH (which is on his DA Form 2122, Record of Interment, which also has an erroneous entry for service in the USAF but that is crossed out and USA , i.e. US Army, written in; he is clearly an Army MSG based on the photo). My guess is that the PH was his and for whatever reason, he or she had it engraved with her name.

Allan H.

It is most certainly privately engraved, but what beautiful engraving! You can see the the suspension ring has been replaced with two small rings which would allow this to be worn on a chain as a necklace or hung from a broach of some sort.

I recall George Harris once had a Purple Heart that was engraved with a name that turned out to be a neighborhood kid who had been hurt in a bicycling accident. One of the men in the neighborhood had a Purple Heart, had it engraved to the boy, and he awarded it to the kid.

I recall that when Ronald Reagan was shot that a marine sent Reagan one of the Purple Hearts that he had earned in Vietnam to Reagan since he was the Commander in Chief.

I'm sure there was an interesting story to go along with this award.

Allan

Tonomachi

Many thanks for everyone's observations and input as I thought the Purple Heart was issued to Helen Cason due to the Find-A-Grave entry of US Air Force under Inscription and World War II under Description.   The larger black and white photograph of a US sailor has got to be a younger picture of Mst Sgt Oscar Cason which would mean prior service in the Navy.  The only military records I could find were US Army muster records from the earliest of 1936 when he was Private Oscar Cason with Troop B, 12th Cavalry out of Fort Brown, Texas.  The last muster roll was dated 1939 for Corporal Oscar Cason with Troop B, 12th Cavalry out of Fort Bliss, Texas. 

download 1936.png

download 1939.png