Marine Raider camouflage helmet

Pizzamilitaria

Pizzamilitaria

USMC Raider burlap covered FS FB M1 helmet with field applied camouflage and netting. 
  The field made burlap helmet covers were first used by the 1st Raider Bn, in the Solomon Islands campaigns. According to 1st Raider vet's, they were issued an 18" square of burlap, others used sandbags. Some were carefully conformed to helmet shape, others were not. Most were unadorned with nets or camo paint. (Later, the 3rd Raider Bn adopted a style that usually added splotched camo paint, and field made nets.)
 The straps and the little bail bump are very early production signs. The net has definitely been on there for a while the top netting seems looser and more stretched than the sides. I can promise you it looks feels and smells old this thing is extremely musty. Liner is rotting away and sweaty, and the patina in the shell and chinstrap matches very well with the inside of the liner. Found it locally in Illinois but have no information besides from there to me, if only this helmet could talk.

This lid is definitely near the top of my raider/hand camo collection.

20220807_154552.jpg

20220807_154627.jpg

20220807_154638.jpg

IMG_20220809_204806_753.jpg

1200px-Marine_Raiders_insignia.svg.png

These type of M1s are discussed on this thread.  The purchaser returned the helmet to the seller based on negative feedback from members.

Pizzamilitaria

I have more photos I can share, I cant prove its its originality especially since it's not named or has no real origin behind it. It's very old and the helmet itself is a very early M1. I was going to list it as an auction starting at $1 so anyone is free to make their best judgment, thank you

Pizzamilitaria

Not at the top, it's a pretty one especially being a helmet compared to field gear and a raider helmet compared to my other frogskin/painted lids but Its been on the collection some time and looking to fund other projects. Got a raider flag to frame along with some other items!

Pizzamilitaria

Not advertising in the post just detailing my plans for the lid, I never said the helmet was available for purchase just that I may consider posting it for sale in the future. Thank you 

Op- I would respectfully recommend you look at that other post where another member bought one of these “raider helmets “ and then returned it. That helmet was viewed as faked based on certain areas lacking wear and the close resemblance to other “raider” helmets that appeared out of no where. Did you buy this from the seller listed in that other post? The sellers in that post are known to not be honest unfortunately. Do you have more pictures of this helmet? Inside of shell, outer of liner, etc?

Pizzamilitaria

I have, I have always stated mine as an old helmet all genuine original parts but no way to prove the cover is original. Only that if it was it would be very neat. 

1 hour ago, Pizzamilitaria said:

I have, I have always stated mine as an old helmet all genuine original parts but no way to prove the cover is original. Only that if it was it would be very neat. 

I totally understand that you are just going off the info that was relayed to you. Did you post this for sale in the helmet section? I as well as others would like to see more pictures of the inside of the shell, etc. I think this will be the only way to dispel the “put together” notion. 

Pizzamilitaria
1 hour ago, Smokeshow said:

I totally understand that you are just going off the info that was relayed to you. Did you post this for sale in the helmet section? I as well as others would like to see more pictures of the inside of the shell, etc. I think this will be the only way to dispel the “put together” notion. 

I posted in the thread somewhere previously of more information, best of luck 😉

Pizzamilitaria

Its named! There are over 30 raiders in the roster who have the name "Jones" but named regardless!

20220817_133746.jpg

1 hour ago, Pizzamilitaria said:

Its named! There are over 30 raiders in the roster who have the name "Jones" but named regardless!

20220817_133746.jpg

What does the inside of the shell look like? 

Pizzamilitaria
8 minutes ago, Smokeshow said:

What does the inside of the shell look like? 

Has some sand/dirt at the base of the lid!

20220817_151701.jpg

7 hours ago, Smokeshow said:

Op- I would respectfully recommend you look at that other post where another member bought one of these “raider helmets “ and then returned it. That helmet was viewed as faked based on certain areas lacking wear and the close resemblance to other “raider” helmets that appeared out of no where. Did you buy this from the seller listed in that other post? The sellers in that post are known to not be honest unfortunately. Do you have more pictures of this helmet? Inside of shell, outer of liner, etc?

The information you have given here is not correct - the helmet was proved fake based on the red rust inside. Many fakers have used this technique on American Indian artefacts I'm told. It’s a process  of making rust quickly which In turn turns it red. 

There are 2 burlap helmets I know of and both are with members here. None of them “came out of nowhere” 

Also to add this is not the same helmet as In that 3 year old thread. This helmet should be viewed and assessed on its own merit, not tarred with an old helmet that has absolutely 0 to do with this one just because it had a burlap cover and net. 

I’m not defending this helmet and I haven’t commented on it either but to see threads tarred with this just ain’t cool. 
Let’s look at this helmet and offer opinions based on what we see not what an old thread says on a helmet that is not this one. 

- Dean 

Pizzamilitaria
6 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

The information you have given here is not correct - the helmet was proved fake based on the red rust inside. Many fakers have used this technique on American Indian artefacts I'm told. It’s a process  of making rust quickly which In turn turns it red. 

There are 2 burlap helmets I know of and both are with members here. None of them “came out of nowhere” 

Also to add this is not the same helmet as In that 3 year old thread. This helmet should be viewed and assessed on its own merit, not tarred with an old helmet that has absolutely 0 to do with this one just because it had a burlap cover and net. 

I’m not defending this helmet and I haven’t commented on it either but to see threads tarred with this just ain’t cool. 
Let’s look at this helmet and offer opinions based on what we see not what an old thread says on a helmet that is not this one. 

- Dean 

Wise words dean, thank you 

6 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

- Dean 

100% agree. We need to examine each helmet on its own merit. I was just saying there are some similarities . 

On 8/18/2022 at 6:49 AM, bigschuss said:

What's the provenance on this helmet?

Just what I thought....crickets chirping.  

Pizzamilitaria
32 minutes ago, bigschuss said:

Just what I thought....crickets chirping.  

Sorry I dont live on the forum. If you could please turn your eyes to the writing on top of the picture to give that a read I'm sure you could pick up some information. 😉

JerryTheGerman

Whilst I’m not saying this helmet is real or fake we all need to remember that with burlap raider helmets like this one, there will always be doubts on authenticity so for those trying to call out and defend just a reminder to keep it civil.