Bloody flag bought home from Betio Tarawa

ArchangelDM

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading up on Tarawa again and found an incredible website with some of the best pictures I’ve seen showing the carnage of the battle. Tarawa also described as the marines toughest battle 

48103AB8-B094-4F10-A62D-3D23275E74A7.jpeg

• 4 months later...

That is a fantastic piece of history. One of my favorite quotes when collecting militaria is "If these things could speak, they would be screaming". Very traumatic event surrounding the capture of this one. 

11 hours ago, Deuce said:

That is a fantastic piece of history. One of my favorite quotes when collecting militaria is "If these things could speak, they would be screaming". Very traumatic event surrounding the capture of this one. 

I agree, some things really speak of the horror and reality of war and this is no exception no matter which side you was on “War is hell”

I knew a Tarawa vet. Retired Professor of Music. Very cultured, well spoken, nice guy. Turns out he was a 4 invasion Marine, Tarawa, Eniwetok, Guam, and Okinawa. Very interesting to talk to, I learned a lot from him. He had some souvenirs he promised me, but died before he dug them out of his attic. He had a Japanese gas mask that he stored in a waterproof bag that still stank like Tarawa. He said in later years, whenever he felt like he was getting too cocky about life, he would open the bag and take a whiff.

• 3 weeks later...
ArchangelDM
On 2/2/2023 at 11:01 PM, SA1911A1 said:

I am guessing that the flag didn't bring the wearer sufficient good luck.

I believe it shows signs of being an insufficient shield 😂 

Not fit for purpose 

ArchangelDM
On 2/10/2023 at 10:56 PM, 1st Sgt CES said:

Wow ! Great Flag---- Have it framed

Thanks for the kind comments, I hopefully will get this one framed soon 

• 2 months later...
ArchangelDM
12 hours ago, sundance said:

Very nice. Can I ask how it was done. I have one I'd consider feaming.

Of course

It’s mounted on acid free card with museum glass and a 5ml spacer between glass and flag.