Vallejo paint question

Art

I have used Testors & Model Master enamel forever.

Now, with lung cancer, thinking about switching paint to Vallejo.

I have never tried it or any Acrylic paint (except the bottles sold in crafting areas of Walmart.

I airbrush also, aircraft & ships.

Any comments or good things or bad things you have experienced with Vallejo?

Is there a different brand you prefer?

Thanks !!!

I was a special projects artist and senior technical illustrator at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. I painted with Liquitex Acrylic Artists paint. I like the Liquitex acrylic paint in the jar for airbrushing and in the tube for painting with a brush. Michael's or any good art store sells Liquitex paint. Costs a bit more. It is the only acrylice paint I use, Use Liquitex acrylic gesso for surface preparation. Use a bowl of water to immediately put the airbrush in when you are not painting. This will keep the airbrush from clogging. I also taught painting at California College of the Arts. Retired now. 

2 hours ago, Art said:

I have used Testors & Model Master enamel forever.

Now, with lung cancer, thinking about switching paint to Vallejo.

I have never tried it or any Acrylic paint (except the bottles sold in crafting areas of Walmart.

I airbrush also, aircraft & ships.

Any comments or good things or bad things you have experienced with Vallejo?

Is there a different brand you prefer?

Thanks !!!

I was an artist most of my life, built models (military,aircraft & vehicles) obsessively from about 5 to 18 yrs old and a small few in my 20s. Used all the old standards of those days....Testors, Model Masters, Polly S , Pactra...probably forgeting some. Decided to try my hand at it again about 3/4 years ago. In my early 50s now and found it much more difficult than before.

Tried to use Model Masters....work was horrible! Eyes arent what they used to be apparently  and the paint didnt flow and apply as well as I remember it.

Tried Vallejo (also AK ...which is basically the same thing)  fantastic results! Love these paints! You can thin them with water and clean up with water. Fairly inexpensive.I think I get the for about 3$ a color at Hobby Lobby. You can also get specific color sets online in the 20-25$ range.They also have a paint line for use with air brush. Havent used an airbrush with these yet though. Try em , youll like em.

All I have done so far is figures. But the paints work great overall. You can also find a line of paints called "Citadel" they are specific for some kind of fantasy gaming but with a large array of colors can also be utilized for military modeling.

I prime with Citadel chaos black and the paint with Valejo and AK.

Couldnt do it though without a pair of "Coke bottle" reading glasses I found.🥴

Citadel also makes a decent line of brushes. I use an "Artificer" for my detailing/insignia work.

Give it a try, good luck

I have always used Vallejo, excellent paints and a BIG plus is that the can be thinned with water, which saves a lot of fumes. Also easy to clean your airbrush with water. As said they have a special line with airbrush paints (Model Air) but you can also use their brush paints (Model Color) in an airbrush if you thin it a bit with distilled water. I usually prime with a cheap acrylic primer in a rattle can, works just fine.

I'm a fan of the Vallejo paints as well, but would add that the Vallejo Flow Improver is a must. Once I started using this stuff things really got sweet.

I tried some brush on Vallejo & WOW !  I love it.  Wish I had switched to it years ago.   I'm ordering some Vallego air tonight for painting a couple of B-24s.   Thanks everyone for the great advice !!!

Vallejo makes excellent paints and in any color you can imagine. AK is also good, although harder to find. Vallejo Model Air works pretty well straight from the bottle in an airbrush, although some flow improver might help with tip dry. (The biggest downfall of acrylic paints in an airbrush, to my mind. You'll be making frequent stops when airbrushing for extended periods to clean off the tip, regardless). Their brush paints are nice. Depending on the color, you may have to thin a bit before application. I also use the brush paints for airbrushing, but tend to thin the paint about 50/50 with some flow improver thrown in. I really like the fact that I don't need to wear a mask and clean-up is still a chore, but a lot easier than enamels.

You can find "how to" videos on YouTube by the dozens.