HELP! I'd really appreciate your opinion of this...

Hey guys, don't know if I posted on the right forum or not, but I could really use some guidance here... Maybe y'all can help me out.
I bought this Civil War kepi device a little while ago for a CW display. I gave it to someone to have it cleaned, and he tells me his Civil-War-expert friend says it's a garbage repro and there never was a 25th artillery regiment... I bought it from what really seems like a reputable dealer... I'm fascinated with CW artifacts but I don't know much about locating them so I did some homework before settling on joshuasattic.com. Found them in a dealers directory.
What's your opinion of my kepi device and this dealer?
Thanks a lot!!

Here's the link: http://www.joshuasattic.com/search/product.asp?ID=16061

And here are some photos:

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_7860.JPG

wartimecollectables.com

Interesting insignia. What are dimensions?

First: only 25th US Artillery I find was organized in 1918.

Second: looks like 25 has been added but long ago.

Third: Darkened insignia wasn't used in Civil War.

M two cents.  A late Indian Wars insignia modified by an officer in 1918 when the 25th formed and he couldn't find insignia.

Interested in others comments and if I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time!!

Andrew

Ok my opinion. I'm on the line with Andrew here. I've seen a lot of repro's. The Cannon barrel end doesn't look like a typical Repro.  The numbers look ok too. But its an offal job soldering them to the crossed cannons.  I tend to lean to a Civil War Centennial Re enactor made piece from original badges. As all this stuff was around in the 1960's.  I'm not a big fan of this piece. That's my opinion. Heat has tarnished the badge, These would be bright polished for Civil War period. 

Don't feel bad, as we all live and learn. But the only one you need too appease is you. Good luck and buy a few reference books. This one is a good one.

Regards, David

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

Thanks a lot guys! I was gonna ask for a good reference book on insignias, that was really helpful. 

What's your opinion of the dealer...? Or do you rather not talk about that?

Any online dealers you recommend, that would have kepi devices? Maybe "Horse Soldier (Gettysburg)"? 

Just thought I should be fair with this dealer. He just got back to me. He was actually very good about it. Seems to me that he's honest and accepts responsibility for his stuff. You can check him out and see what you think.
I'll let you guys decide. this isn't exactly my area of expertise.