Questions About 1898 Holster Or Is IT a 1909?

I took in this holster as part of a lot at auction. Nice condition but missing the end plug (boooo...hisssss)

I'm trying to decipher the unit marks and I'm looking at the date on the back wondering if this is a 1909. It looks too narrow to handle the larger revolver.

Is there a general source to find the unit designations for US military units during the various eras? What about this holster? H-13  38

Would they have stamped "38" on it to make sure the supply clerk didn't issue it along with a .45? That seems to be a stretch.

Any assistance here is welcome. I did a couple archive searches but may not have used the correct terms.

Andy

IMG_9121.JPG

IMG_9122.JPG

IMG_9123.JPG

IMG_9120.JPG

Its clear as a bell dated 1909. An 1898 would not be russet leather. The H-13 is 'probably' Troop H 13th Cav. The 38 is likely the individuals chit or equipment issue number which just happens to be the same as the revolver caliber. A coincidence. The H 13 could also be Co. H 13th Infantry (less likely) as some NCO's could or did draw revolvers.  Its nice, I wouldn't worry about the plug unless youore only going for a high grade example. Most plugs it seems are missing. In this era they had a loop and tie that often got pulled off. 

1 hour ago, CAC1901 said:

Its clear as a bell dated 1909. An 1898 would not be russet leather. The H-13 is 'probably' Troop H 13th Cav. The 38 is likely the individuals chit or equipment issue number which just happens to be the same as the revolver caliber. A coincidence. The H 13 could also be Co. H 13th Infantry (less likely) as some NCO's could or did draw revolvers.  Its nice, I wouldn't worry about the plug unless youore only going for a high grade example. Most plugs it seems are missing. In this era they had a loop and tie that often got pulled off. 

My understanding is that the later versions of this holster were made in Russet. Gleaned that from several posts here. I know it is DATED 1909. I am asking if it is possible this is for the 1909 Revolver.

Thank you for the unit information. I will dig in and look for more items from those units and hopefully find matching imprints.

1 hour ago, Andylit said:

My understanding is that the later versions of this holster were made in Russet. Gleaned that from several posts here. I know it is DATED 1909. I am asking if it is possible this is for the 1909 Revolver.

Thank you for the unit information. I will dig in and look for more items from those units and hopefully find matching imprints.

The army switched from black to russet leather in 1902, so this holster, being russet, is perfectly normal.  Its even a nice russet color still! Good luck on the matching hunt. It can be exhausting and success is measured in little bits I found....

• 2 months later...

The holster is too small for the 1909 Colt New Service. It is for the 1889-1908 New Army and Navy Double Action in 38 Long Colt.

This is the revolver it is for. When they finally obsoleted the series they came out with the Colt New Army Revolver and it is the same frame.

It will also fit the S&W 38 special series of doubles actions, but it wasn't made for them I believe. 

Nice Holster! 

100_5110.JPG.b025107a7266ec732bb4300388a39b6c.JPG

• 2 months later...