Waco Glider Flight Instrument Panel

M1A1-1944

I just recently was able to pick up what I think is a Waco Glider flight panel. Since I've never persued and don't have any aircraft items in my collection, I am just curious if anyone thinks this has significant collector value or is it just an intresting item at best. Please give your opinions. Thanks, Ron

post-4155-1235700368.jpg

Cobrahistorian
I just recently was able to pick up what I think is a Waco Glider flight panel. Since I've never persued and don't have any aircraft items in my collection, I am just curious if anyone thinks this has significant collector value or is it just an intresting item at best. Please give your opinions. Thanks, Ron

Ron,

There's definitely significant collector value to it! Can you identify which glider it came out of? Is there a tail number anywhere on the panel?

Cool stuff!

Jon

Thanks Jon. I won't actually have it in hand until sometime early next week so I will update the thread then.

Ron,

There's definitely significant collector value to it! Can you identify which glider it came out of? Is there a tail number anywhere on the panel?

Cool stuff!

Jon

I'd be interested in close-up photos of that panel.

I did a story on a glider which crashed in my area and can always use photos like that.

Thanks in advance.

Erwin

Cobrahistorian

Now you need the rest of the glider to go with it!

Doesn't look like there's any radio call number or anything on it, unfortunately.

General Apathy
Please give your opinions. Thanks, Ron

Hi Ron, very nice item and very enviable.

Last week I met a French guy here in Normandy restoring a Waco glider, I saw plenty of photographs on his camera, hoping to get invite to his farm to see it live.

Cheers ( Lewis )

hbtcoveralls

HI Ron,

I grew up in Pennsylvania and at the end of WWII a very large number of Waco CG4A gliders were sold out of the Tobyhanna Army Depot in Eastern PA. Many people bought the gliders, not for the aircraft, but for the crate they came in. There was something like a thousand board feet of lumber crating these things up. Anyway I know of three that were set up for kids to play in and left to basically rot away, one in Easton one in Allentown and one on my grandfather's farm in Gouldsboro PA. Bits and peices have surfaced from these from time to time, like the panel from the Easton glider which was sold a number of years ago, or the seat belts from the glider in Gouldsboro which I have, but the panel is the best thing to have. Its a great score.

Tom Bowers

I'm really late in responding, but you have one hell of a cool piece there!! You have my envy, that is for sure. Well done!

-Ski

Hello,

To find today such an instrument panel, in such excellent condition and so complete is like small miracle. Congratulations!

The altimeter card is extremely interesting (left upper corner of the panel). I wonder if it is from CG-4A or an aircraft? And if from an aircraft then if US-operated, or not, because it is graduated in the Celsius degrees, not Fahrenheit ones as you prefer and like very much, American friends. What is absolutely fantastic and abstract in this altimeter card (that's why I wonder if it was re-installed from a plane) is the range of altitudes. It is typical for a plane, not for CG-4A because this glider did not carry oxygen installation neither for the crew nor for troops. Very shortly US Army researched possibility of glider assaults from more than 10000ft (3050m), but it was only theoretical study. Almost all the world over according to aviation medicine and law from 10000ft up it is necessary to use on board the oxygen masks. The card mentioned has the range of altitudes from 14000ft (4267m) up to 50000ft (15240m). It would be good for U-2 but not necessarily for CG-4A. Very interesting instrument panel.

BTW -- I "like very much" this military hypocrisy in the form of instrument panel-mounted plate with inscription: "Minimum flight condition: Crew -- pilot and co-pilot". The inscription for "US continental market" -- for the CAA authorities, for CAA flight safety inspectors as well as for the parents of glider pilots and gliderborne troops. The inscription certainly not for operational flying and glider assaults. What a pity that American lawyers are incompetent in wartime military gliding. Pentagon would have to have special big budget for the reparations for American families who lost their sons in the CG-4As piloted by single pilots only against the law.

Best regards

Greg

General Apathy

Hi M1A1, as I added previously great panel and nice addition to your collection. Thought i would just add this little tidbit that is being put out over here in Normandy. I don't know how much truth there is to this I have yet to learn more about it.

Sainte Mère Eglise (50)

On 31-05-2009

Waco glider flyover St Mere Eglise. (place and times to be confirmed) .

Cheers ( Lewis )

Thanks for the comments and information guys. -Ron

Hi M1A1, as I added previously great panel and nice addition to your collection. Thought i would just add this little tidbit that is being put out over here in Normandy. I don't know how much truth there is to this I have yet to learn more about it.

Sainte Mère Eglise (50)

On 31-05-2009

Waco glider flyover St Mere Eglise. (place and times to be confirmed) .

Cheers ( Lewis )

Possibly... a good place to post this...?

I need 8 fixing bolts for my two instruments (middle and far right ones) that I have for my panel... and suitable bolts/nuts for one of the info panels (that on my panel fit directly to the top of the instrument panel metlawork itself)...any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Glen.

You should see the stack of 5 main wheels (with tyres) for a CG-4A in my garage....!

Why 5? Trade.... I need two steering wheels to finish off my double control column! ;)

Cheers,

Glen.

• 1 year later...
Quest Master

I sent you a PM about the instrument panel. I am looking for any parts for my two CG-4A Glider restoration projects. Let me know. - Van