Vietnam era helmet with strange color scheme

Luxview

Hi all,

I need some help again. A while ago I acquired this helmet which I thought was a pretty nice, honest Vietnam era witness (for the records, it's a McCord, stainless steel rear seam, SB, heat stamp 989B with a nylon liner dated 1968 and a Mitchell cover showing a 1970 contract number). But when I looked under the cover (it was loose enough not to harm the originality) to my surprise I discovered a very strange overpainted color scheme and an insignia (?) I want to share with you to hopefully get some feedback on:

IMG_20220810_160008.jpg

IMG_20220810_160056.jpg

IMG_20220423_161530 (1).jpg

IMG_20220423_161648 (1).jpg

IMG_20220423_161606 (1).jpg

IMG_20220423_161722 (1).jpg

Maybe a stupid question, but could this be any kind of ARVN scheme? Does the insignia look familiar to somebody? I bought some really good MP helmets from the same person before but when I tried to contact him again on this particular one I couldn't reach him anymore.

Happy to provide more pictures or details, if needed - What do you think about this one?

I look forward to getting your insights

Karsten

First, let me say how nicely-worded your topic is, and with really good photos.  

Wow is that refreshing.

Onto your helmet, it will be interesting to hear opinions.  I really like the look of it, and the paint has the visual indication of having been on there for awhile.  Looks sorta swirly, like a camo, and that brighter color green I’ve seen on helmets before.

To me better pictures are needed. Photos outside and with shots of the helmet from the sides and not above the helmet. ARVN helmets are hard to find and assess at times. Three times in the past I thought I found one but they weren’t. Don’t give up hope but I’m always cautious.

marty

The closest I can find on a quick search is it might be a play on an "ARVN Airforce General Headquarters" insignia. The wings and sword seem to follow the design. The yellow and red paint may be what remains of a yellow star with a red center.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:58 PM, Blacksmith said:

First, let me say how nicely-worded your topic is, and with really good photos.  

Wow is that refreshing.

Onto your helmet, it will be interesting to hear opinions.  I really like the look of it, and the paint has the visual indication of having been on there for awhile.  Looks sorta swirly, like a camo, and that brighter color green I’ve seen on helmets before.

Hi Blacksmith,

Thank you very much for your kind comment. As I don't have the profound knowledge (yet) to provide much substantial feedback on the helmets presented here I try at least to give an accurate description for the sake of the collectors community on this great forum.

Karsten

On 8/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, 644td said:

To me better pictures are needed. Photos outside and with shots of the helmet from the sides and not above the helmet. ARVN helmets are hard to find and assess at times. Three times in the past I thought I found one but they weren’t. Don’t give up hope but I’m always cautious.

marty

Hi Marty,

I took some more pictures outside in the afternoon sun, my cam is not the best but I hope they reveal some better details. Yes, this helmet turning out to be ARVN would be a lottery win but I won't shout it out to loudly before I can really be sure about. It looks like a previous owner maybe tried to brutally remove the black paint over the insignia, destroying it partly with his attempt?

Karsten

IMG_20220810_175042.jpg

IMG_20220810_175118.jpg

IMG_20220810_175215.jpg

IMG_20220810_175338.jpg

IMG_20220810_175429.jpg

On 8/10/2022 at 5:36 PM, 72psb said:

The closest I can find on a quick search is it might be a play on an "ARVN Airforce General Headquarters" insignia. The wings and sword seem to follow the design. The yellow and red paint may be what remains of a yellow star with a red center.

Hi 72psb,

Thank you very much for your hint. I found a patch on Ebay who looks a bit similar (not from colors, but from design). Could even be that there is something written below, but unfortunately unreadable...

Karsten

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_20220810_175338.jpg

6 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

didn't anyone see star wars?  sorry for the levity...I hope you can track down the unit/insignia,...

star wars.jpg

I wanted to be angry that you made me scroll through the topic for this, but it was just too good.

😂

On 8/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, phantomfixer said:

didn't anyone see star wars?  sorry for the levity...I hope you can track down the unit/insignia,...

star wars.jpg

I saw the Jedi logo myself..

On 8/11/2022 at 8:49 PM, phantomfixer said:

star wars.jpg

You guys made my day !!

I was hoping for an ARVN helmet but now it turns out this piece is a relic from the Rebel Alliance that somehow made it into our galaxy thousands of years ago. I'll have to built a shrine for it ...

3 hours ago, Luxview said:

You guys made my day !!

I was hoping for an ARVN helmet but now it turns out this piece is a relic from the Rebel Alliance that somehow made it into our galaxy thousands of years ago. I'll have to built a shrine for it ...

179FFED7-5A9F-41D9-AC7F-3E506E02FF58.jpeg

4 hours ago, Luxview said:

You guys made my day !!

To do anything less would just be silly lol

Took some better pics with the cam today. The last one seems indeed to reveal some writing under the insignia but unfortunately I can't make out the meaning...

P1070929.JPG

P1070931.JPG

P1070933.JPG