Kenneth Roberts Historical Fiction

Zack Miller

Zack Miller

For those who might not know, Kenneth Roberts was an author of historical fiction in the early to mid twentieth century.  For the most part he has dropped off the radar, but he was quite popular after publishing Northwest Passage.  

Many of his novels took place during the French & Indian Wars and the Revolution.  Written in the first person by a fictional character, his focus was on resurrecting historical figures who fell from grace.   Northwest Passage explores Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers, his foray into Canada and later into Michigan. The same Rogers featured in The series Turn. 

In Arundel and Rabble in Arms he follows the exploits of Benedict Arnold and his expedition to Quebec and Saratoga. 

In Oliver Wiswell, the Revolution is observed through the eyes of a Loyalist.  This work was controversial when published.  

Roberts was a curmudgeon from Maine who loved the state.  He did a great deal of research on the campaigns, such that they are fairly accurate.  Although supposedly fictional, his genealogy reveals he was actually descended from the Nason and Towne families the surnames of two of the characters narrating the works.  

Great reads for people who like historical fiction from that era. 

42E62E6A-3B1A-4A42-A4B8-3F25A4FE2E4F.jpeg

Thank you for sharing. I am a big fan of Jeff Shaara, (and of course his father Michael-Killer Angels). Of course as most know, they do the same style of writing, historical fiction, based on a lot of research so that the facts are accurate but in their case, seen through the eyes of a half dozen or so real characters of the era. I enjoy Revolutionary War and French Indian War time frames so I will give Roberts a try. Thanks again.