Plane ID

egreis

Greetings all:

A friend of mine sent me this picture for identification.  Can anyone tell me what type of plane this is?  I thought it looked like a Japanese Dive Bomber?

Thanks,

Eric

image.png.2ca523c1c27fbcf4203be8e0fc1d9d6b.png

13 hours ago, Linedoggie said:

US

Curtiss CW-22

Don't think so. The CW-22 was a single seat aircraft. The SNC was developed from the CW-22 as a two-seat training aircraft. The cockpit and canopy of the pictured airplane does not match the CW-22.

• 1 month later...

I agree with an SNC-1. Why?

• Engine area on image does not show any prop blades; likely to be a 2 bladed prop - matches SNC-1
  • SNC has 'pods' for the landing gear that have a very distinctive look when open - matches 'doors' seen behind and to the left of the person in the image
  • SNC engine has an exhaust nozzle on the  lower right of the cowling (seen from pilot seat) - matches port seen to the right of the person in the image
  • SNC canopy is five-piece: three fixed and two movable - appears to match configuration in image (last fixed canopy piece not visible; rear canopy appears closed)
  • SNC wings have a distinctive 'seam', located approx one third along the wing from the wing root - matches 'seam' seen on aircraft wing to the left of the shoulder of the person in the image