M11- MK2- pinapple grenade with a more greener paint than olive OD

Mark 2

Hello forum

I bought this grenade recently, it had a M1 booby trap fuse on it but i've taken that off for now.

The grenade in question had a repainted body with olive OD and a yellow ring round the top.

So i decided to take the repaint off the grenade and underneath i found another coat of paint

which was a much more greener shade of green than olive OD. You can still see the repainted

olive colour on the grenade especially in the groove's.

My question is

Is the green colour paint original to the grenade, and was it common or unusual to see this

more greener colour on MK11-MK2 pinapple grenades.

.Any input would be great thanks.

unnamed (9).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

15 hours ago, 917601 said:

9C71C025-C53A-4CA6-ABE8-B10A8A89983D.jpeg

Hmm, i'm from the UK and bought the grenade in the UK, the colour is very similar to the mills bomb green band but feels impossible to know if there a connection.

The green paint on the MK11- MK2 does look like its original to the grenade but i don't know for sure, so i'm very curious to know where it originated from.

Thanks for your reply, and thats a- very- very- nice mills bomb you've downloaded.

Persian Gulf Command

Alright, here's my theory? Looks like (need you, Mark2, to confirm) the grenade was originally painted Black, then overpainted with a standard US OD paint, then received a forest/Jungle green camo paint. The statement of the grenade being set up with an M1 Booby Trap Firing Device would lend some speculation that the grenade was meant to be, well, hiding in the weeds. Could the green be the Forest/Jungle Green sometimes seen on Marine PTO equipment? Below is a photo of a shortened T-Handle Shoves w/ this Forest/Jungle Green overpainting for comparison.

P6251079.JPG

P6251083.JPG

2 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Alright, here's my theory? Looks like (need you, Mark2, to confirm) the grenade was originally painted Black, then overpainted with a standard US OD paint, then received a forest/Jungle green camo paint. The statement of the grenade being set up with an M1 Booby Trap Firing Device would lend some speculation that the grenade was meant to be, well, hiding in the weeds. Could the green be the Forest/Jungle Green sometimes seen on Marine PTO equipment? Below is a photo of a shortened T-Handle Shoves w/ this Forest/Jungle Green overpainting for comparison.

P6251079.JPG

P6251083.JPG

When i bought the grenade it had a matt olive drab colour and a thick lemon coloured ring at the top of the grenade and looked awfull. I think it was a modern repaint so i put some wire wool to it and it come off quite easy, to reveal what you call the forest green underneath, l'm not sure about any OD paint underneath the green though.

The black colour on the grenade i thought was just the patina but i think it might be black paint like you say, and as for the green paint on the grenade, it definitely look's like the green on the T- Handle shoves you've downloaded. This could be good evidence as to why the grenade is painted, well let's call it forest green for now, but this is unusual yeah ?.

I'll download a photo of the booby trap tomorrow, its the M1 release type unpainted and with the - This side up - plate on it, unsure if its original though.

Thanks persian gulf command.

Persian Gulf Command

Sounds Good! However, I am curious about the color or patina in the grooves of the grenade? It's this area that appears to be an OD color or paint that I thought could be the paint above the black. Or its the forest green that has not had its patina rubbed off because of your wire wool rubbing.

21 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Sounds Good! However, I am curious about the color or patina in the grooves of the grenade? It's this area that appears to be an OD color or paint that I thought could be the paint above the black. Or its the forest green that has not had its patina rubbed off because of your wire wool rubbing.

I'll get back to you P.G.C on this subject in a day or two, i need my doughter's phone to take some more photos.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:41 PM, Persian Gulf Command said:

I've managed to  rub some more of the olive OD out of the grooves of the grenade, and as you can see it leaves the greener colour paint. 

It seems to me that the grenade was painted black like you say, then painted in this greener colour paint, then had a full OD repaint by someone, which i managed to remove most of the OD paint off.

So my question is now,  was the grenade originally painted this greener colour by the US army or by a civilian post war, maybe we'll never know.

IMG_2441 (2).jpg

unnamed (11).jpg

unnamed (12).jpg

unnamed (10).jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Yes, I think the "maybe we'll never know" applies well in this case. Although, if I had to come to a conclusion, I think that OD green over the black on the grenade was there for a long time, based on the patina that had developed. Therefore, the over paint was that forest green color.

1 hour ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Yes, I think the "maybe we'll never know" applies well in this case. Although, if I had to come to a conclusion, I think that OD green over the black on the grenade was there for a long time, based on the patina that had developed. Therefore, the over paint was that forest green color.

Ok PGC thanks for your input, on a different note i remember you asking me about a 17 pounder apc projectile. Are these very rare as i haven't come across one yet .

Persian Gulf Command
1 hour ago, Mark 2 said:

Ok PGC thanks for your input, on a different note i remember you asking me about a 17 pounder apc projectile. Are these very rare as i haven't come across one yet .

Mark2,

As far as I can tell YES, especially in the US. That's why I am wondering if they are found in GB or Canada. I'm almost afraid to find out, because if they can be had in those two places, getting one into the US is impossible for a regular "Joe" like me or if they are rare in GB and Canada then my nice 1944 casing will never receive its "mate".

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Mark2,

As far as I can tell YES, especially in the US. That's why I am wondering if they are found in GB or Canada. I'm almost afraid to find out, because if they can be had in those two places, getting one into the US is impossible for a regular "Joe" like me or if they are rare in GB and Canada then my nice 1944 casing will never receive its "mate".

Cheers!

I've looked at a few militaria websites over here in the UK that sell allsorts of shells and casings, but haven't come across a 17 pounder yet,. They have to be rare i presume, but if i do come across one i will ask the dealer about the legality of  sending these over seas. 

Persian Gulf Command
4 hours ago, Mark 2 said:

I've looked at a few militaria websites over here in the UK that sell allsorts of shells and casings, but haven't come across a 17 pounder yet,. They have to be rare i presume, but if i do come across one i will ask the dealer about the legality of  sending these over seas. 

That would be great, thank you much!  Again, Cheers to You