Small Grouping 17th Airborne Division - Amos Chason

BryanJ

My wife and I were visiting with my mother-in-law today, we went out and ate some pizza, and while eating she mentioned that she had run across a small group of her husband’s WWII items.  We got back and the small group reflected a remarkable history that Amos Chason  experienced, first-hand, that we all read and study about.  In the group was his pay record, his Combat Infantry Badge (I explained to my wife, sister and mother-in-law the great reverence a CIB represents), they had no idea what the P-38 can opener was, and I explained that Amos probably carried that with him every day, in-as-much that it was still on a small chain that allowed him to keep it handy to open probably every canned ration that he ate.  There was a photo of him in his jump jacket and pants and I explained what an incredibly collectible (and very valuable) item those would be if they happened to have been kept, buried in the bottom of a closet somewhere.  He had photos of a few German girls that he apparently met during post-war occupation duty, and a letter from one young lady who was apparently distraught that he had left without saying good-bye.  All of these small items were part of a mystery that Amos would never talk about.  He was in the Battle of the Bulge, but he wouldn’t talk about it.  His glider wings were part of this group, but he refused to ever again board a plane for the remainder of his life because of his experience in a glider unit.  There was a grainy photo of what looks like a glider in flight, did he take that photo?  As far as I know, the only person he ever talked about the war with, was with my son for a fourth-grade history project, the report and taped recording we still have.  Amos did mention briefly, once that I recall, being present at the liberation of a concentration camp, but that was a very short conversation that he never elaborated about.  This is a small group, representing a small glimpse into Amos Chason’s remarkable experience in WWII.  The rest of the story he took with him.

1DBC768A-43B0-452C-B493-56F9C304A5E6.jpeg

F37D6767-0D41-41DD-B36E-620F23F3735A.jpeg

525CB195-12F1-47E8-B390-4DB8FACD9F13.jpeg

9DAA7AF0-1180-4661-A768-C9C9594A7286.jpeg

6627FF79-9497-430B-BF15-577BBDFF602C.jpeg

1C426076-3929-40C2-8417-A3A1500139F6.jpeg

29B9550D-3D77-4B27-AC7D-B20D13E1EA0A.jpeg

1B93A980-0479-43A1-8843-5A566193E7BB.jpeg

P-40Warhawk

Great grouping to honor this man's service. Sometimes they don't want to talk about the terrible things they saw, but artifacts like these are a window in time that we can reflect on. He sounds like several vets I knew, who saw things they did not want to talk about, but also quietly proud of their service. You can tell these items meant the most to him, which makes them even more special.