CMP Win!

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

I submitted my paperwork for the CMP 1911 program over a year ago. I got a lottery number from the CMP a couple of months later. Over time, I actually had given up on receiving one. This past Monday I got a call from them! Only “Rack Grade” was available, so that is what I ordered of course. Then I started looking the CMP forums and around at various firearms web sites to see what people were getting. Most rack grade posted were overall pretty good condition, “mixmasters”  with arsenal rebuild marks, as one would expect from military surplus firearms.

I’ve been on pins and needles for several days, got the word my FFL had received it, so, I was able to take a vacation day from work to pick it up.

I am so very pleased with my .45! Much nicer than I dared to hope for.

It is a Colt frame probably made in 1943, with a Remington Rand slide. I have Clawson’s Collectors Guide, so I look up some of the parts.

It appears to me to be a Colt mainspring housing, a Colt hammer and has a High Standard barrel. I don’t see any arsenal rebuild marks, and looks to my untrained eye that it may be the original finish. It is very tight and has a crisp but heavy trigger pull. It is tighter than the .45’s I remember at my Indiana National Guard unit back it the day when I carried one. Did I mention that I am so very pleased with my .45!

Hope you enjoy the photos!

You will notice that I didn’t cover the SN, since I bought it from the Government, I’m pretty sure “the Man” knows I have it.

BKW

P8050568.JPG

P8050563.JPG

P8050573.JPG

P8050555.JPG

That is a very respectable pistol - congratulations!  I would be very happy to have one like that in my collection.

I've also noticed that the CMP M1911s are much tighter and much more accurate than the ones I used in the Army.  Guess Uncle Sam was holding back the good ones!

Charlie Flick

Good for you, Brian.  That is a nice M1911A1.  Enjoy it.

Charlie

That is what Id be totally happy with, a real deal GI pistol that I could take to the range.  Dont really want any safe queen or looking for something all parts correct as it came from the factory.  Id like a rebuild and one that was used later in life like in Vietnam or even after.   I hope they do that lottery stuff again so I can finally get in on one.

Garandomatic

Mine has a Colt slide and RR frame from about November 43. I love it. Shoots great. I touched bullets at 15 yards, so I figure that's good enough!

Brian Keith

Thanks for all the comments folks, I'm still on cloud 9! When I picked it up, I bought a box of .45 ammo at full retail. Not that I had to have more, but to support the FFL's business. They are a hardware store with a small selection of guns and ammo. The're only a few blocks from my home so very convenient. I try to support local small business. Remember when ALL hardware stores had guns and ammo?

BKW

Brian Keith
57 minutes ago, Garandomatic said:

Mine has a Colt slide and RR frame from about November 43. I love it. Shoots great. I touched bullets at 15 yards, so I figure that's good enough!

Sounds like our pistols may have had intimate relations!

BKW

Brian Keith
7 minutes ago, Garandomatic said:

Maybe they shared a few stolen moments at Anniston in October of 1980😆

Don't ask, don't tell.

Very nice pistol Brian!  

My rack Grade (Ithaca frame/ RR slide) is in very similar condition. I love it! Can't beat the price at $850 either

Brian Keith

Thanks for everyone's comments. The CMP is a great program that save these historic treasures from "Captain Crunch" or cutting torch.

BKW