PB jump wings with 3 stars.. opinions?

I completely forgot I had these. I got them along with a bunch of old VFW pins years ago. The stars are soldered or welded on, there seems to be some black residue or something on the wings near where the stars are affixed. There is also the remnants of a sterling mark on the reverse.

Airborne isn't really my area so I don't know what to make of them, any opinions would be really appreciated.

PXL_20220805_174133900.jpg.cbd71941ab85df23a8866880255481ff.jpg

PXL_20220805_174155284.jpg.058ee93c483a06c6ed9d9aaaff8f2267.jpg

PXL_20220805_174958268.jpg.0e4b89363b5beb02c54ba7453823189c.jpg

I agree.  Original wings.  

multiple possible combinations, however, the 504 PIR group I have, the trooper had three combat jumps.

USCapturephotos

I'm no expert on paratrooper units, but couldn't they also be from the 509th PIB/PIR. They were credited with at least two jumps in North Africa in 43, one in Italy I believe (at least some members did) and one in the south of France? It could easily be a pair from one of their members. I could be wrong but I also thought it was the 509th who actually started the tradition of adding stars to their jump wings. 

Paul

collectsmedals
13 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

They were credited with at least two jumps in North Africa in 43, one in Italy I believe (at least some members did) and one in the south of France?

The 509 made three jumps in North Africa; Oran Algeria, Youks-les-Banes, and El Djem (only 32 troopers from headquarters company were on that last one). They also jumped at Avellino, Italy and in Southern France, and made seaborne landings at Ventotene and Anzio. They also participated in the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium. 

The original Army Parachutist Badge was designed in 1941 by Captain (later Lieutenant General) William P. Yarborough who was the Executive Officer of the 509th during their jumps in North Africa. I never heard that the 509 originated putting combat stars on jumps wings, but it certainly seems plausible.

USCapturephotos
40 minutes ago, collectsmedals said:

The 509 made three jumps in North Africa; Oran Algeria, Youks-les-Banes, and El Djem (only 32 troopers from headquarters company were on that last one). They also jumped at Avellino, Italy and in Southern France, and made seaborne landings at Ventotene and Anzio. They also participated in the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium. 

The original Army Parachutist Badge was designed in 1941 by Captain (later Lieutenant General) William P. Yarborough who was the Executive Officer of the 509th during their jumps in North Africa. I never heard that the 509 originated putting combat stars on jumps wings, but it certainly seems plausible.

I’ll try and dig out where I read that about the 509th with the stars on jump wings. I lucked into a great idd 509th grouping earlier this year.

Paul

The 509th originally put stars on their background trimmings.. Here is a photo of Medal of Honor recipient Paul Huff. You can clearly see the campaign stars applied to his oval. Two for parachute assaults, and three for amphibious assaults.

..image.png.c5dbe48fe2444531afcc0df838288e4c.png

Allan

21 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

The 509th originally put stars on their background trimmings.. Here is a photo of Medal of Honor recipient Paul Huff. You can clearly see the campaign stars applied to his oval. Two for parachute assaults, and three for amphibious assaults.

..image.png.c5dbe48fe2444531afcc0df838288e4c.png

Allan

Ran out of likes.

• 5 months later...

When I was first stationed at Fort Bragg from 1967 until 1968, the First Citizens Bank had pictures of the former post commanders in the lobby and at least one had 4 stars on his wings.  I have heard of a few of having 3 stars and an arrowhead on their wings.

Larry

Don’t forget that some guys did small unit jumps.

Like jumping into Bastogne to prep for aerial parachute deliveries.

Some would ad a star for these smaller combat jumps.

• 3 months later...

Veteran and past member  of 82 Airborne Division 1948 and the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team,  Korea  1951.  It is correct  a bronze star is ALLOWED on parachute

wings for each combat jump, but not aware of bronze arrow heads being on wings in addition to the bronze stars.100_2273.JPG.fc278bd544f60fc99d814396c41aeb05.JPG

John,

Do you have any accounts of your service to share? There's a forum here for that(Veteran's Stories or something like that) but if not there we'd still love to hear them somewhere.

Dave

FYI- The 504th had jumps into Sicily, Salerno, and Holland. They did not jump into Normandy as a unit, but I believe they had pathfinders jump in to assist other units.  SKIP

13 hours ago, john1644 said:

Veteran and past member  of 82 Airborne Division 1948 and the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team,  Korea  1951.  It is correct  a bronze star is ALLOWED on parachute

wings for each combat jump, but not aware of bronze arrow heads being on wings in addition to the bronze stars

Noticed this set on EBAY While looking for Medical badges
Crazy price but it is sporting ARROW HEADS

image.png.a23af986d0290532746a1d2bc4db1dbc.png

the 509th wings are costume  jewelry not the real thing.  perhaps made up by a proud trooper..............  first one I've seen like this.

5 hours ago, dmar836 said:

John,

Do you have any accounts of your service to share? There's a forum here for that(Veteran's Stories or something like that) but if not there we'd still love to hear them somewhere.

Dave

Have a good humor story and will try to find  place for it............