Smith & Wesson Victory Model Flap Holster Marked 1st Cavalry Division (Dustin and Charlie)

Armistead

Dustin and Charlie. I read with great interest a discussion you two had about army use of the victory model revolver during WW2. I recently acquired this holster from an antiques dealer/appraiser in Portland, Oregon. He had no history of the item, only that it came from an estate in that area. I have no idea when the 1st Cav stamp was put on the holster, whether during the war or later but I thought it was pretty interesting. One of my uncles served with the 1st Cav throughout the war. I only wish he was still here to answer more questions although he had probably already grown tired of all my questions. Just wanted to share photos of the holster. Thanks to all for a great forum. I have learned so much.

1st cav-1.jpg

1st cav-3.jpg

Charlie Flick

Armistead:

Welcome to the Forum.

That's a neat holster.  I think that the 1st Cavalry stamps are genuine and were probably applied during the late war period.  I have seen 2 or 3 others similarly marked. 

Why they are so marked remains a mystery to me.  How they were marked is easier for me to say.  They were marked with a US Army leather stamping tool kit known as the Marking Outfit for Stamping Leather.  See the image below. 

I believe that your holster was manufactured by Brauer Brothers of St. Louis, MO. 

Some years back I was so interested in these markings on another Victory holster that I ended up buying a copy of the 1st Cavalry unit history from WW2 hoping to catch an image of a soldier wearing one of these.  I could not find one, which made me think that perhaps they might have been used during the immediate post-war era while the 1st Cav was on Japan Occupation duty.   I am speculating now.

Thanks for the post.  I like your holster.

Regards,

Charlie

Marking Outfit for Stamping Leather.png

Charlie that's amazing. I never thought I would see the actual leather marking kit that was used. It's definitely what was used. The letters are spot on. Thank you so much for the response and the expertise on the subject. Greatly appreciated.