Mk. II Grenade Bookends... Restore?

RedLegRob

Won these courtesy of the People's Republic of eBay... (Actually surprised they didn't remove the listing).

Appear to made from legitimate original Mk. IIs that were spray painted with copper color paint & mounted to heavy iron bases.

Contemplating taking them apart, spraying with paint stripper, going to work with the wire brush and attempting to re-paint in era-specific colors...

Any thoughts / ideas / suggestions...? Anyone have any experience embarking on a project like this...?

Mk II Book Ends #1.webp

Mk II Book Ends #2.webp

Mk II Book Ends #3.webp

Mk II Book Ends #4.webp

Persian Gulf Command

By the time you do all this and then repaint them all you will end up with are re-painted WW2 Grenades. If you are ok with that then go for it. Something you should consider further is if the grenades are solid bottoms or 9/16" plugged bottoms that have been drilled and bolted to the base then that also deters from the original condition of the grenades. 

Is there any nomenclature on the levers?  Can you remove the fuses and see the condition of the internals?

They are already messed up.  I would keep them as bookends, but if you have the time, I think they would look a lot cooler in original color.  Just my opinion. - Jeff  

Those look like they may be "bronzed."  people used to have all sorts of stuff bronzed to keep as mementos.  One of the most popular things to have bronzed was baby shoes.  I don't know what process is used in bronzing, but I think you will find it is more than just an easily removed layer of paint.  Here's a quote from a website that discusses bronzing of baby shoes:  "The entire process of bronzing takes between four to six weeks. A special formula is applied first to stiffen the shoes. Laces are tied to look as if the baby is wearing them. The shoes get coated for electroplating post which they sit on a plating rack for three to four hours. Once they are bronzed, shoes are polished for a shine and lustre. A second coating is applied to protect the bronze. The bronzed pair is mounted on a base. A newly bronzed pair looks shimmering gold in colour and develops a veneer over time."