Radio Room Clock.

Zack Miller

A few years ago I was roaming around an antique store on Cape Cod when I spotted this near the floor.  It was painted black at the time, but I removed the paint with a wire brush.  It was not unusual for crew members to paint them black to eliminate glare.  Running a check on the serial numbers from the Chelsea clock company, I learned it was made late in 1941.  For those who are unfamiliar, when the minute hands are in the red zone, the ship is to go radio silent in order to pick up distress calls. There are a few flecks of salt corrosion on the dial, so I assume this piece did spend time at sea.  It runs well.  It is one of about six WWII era clocks that I own. 

2263B9F6-BF5F-4437-893D-2048C99315DA.jpeg

Zack Miller
1 hour ago, hink441 said:

Great looking clock!! 

I would love to see the rest of your clocks!! 

Chris

These are two from a liberty ship. Note the designation U.S. Maritime Commission. My grandfather worked in lower Manhattan.  He was walking along the Westside where they were scrapping the ship.  One of the workman told him he could come aboard and take what he wanted. He helped himself to these two clocks, a radio room clock, and one that chimed bells. 

BE3D7428-74CB-4097-B5D2-89FC77FD3556.jpeg

9171E886-A409-4B1D-925A-A7334EEB9DDF.jpeg

Zack Miller

This may also be from a liberty ship with the Maritime Commission designation.  This one chimes bells. 

C05E22B3-EFF0-43F4-9B46-2451FAA033B3.jpeg

Zack Miller

Two more “nautical clocks”, but not sure of any actual military origin.  A brass ship clock that strikes bells and a nineteenth century chronometer. 

876FFA28-3B2D-4CF4-838F-D18819A945E4.jpeg

BDE90AA1-E605-486F-B935-5D0E2565F7B0.jpeg

Zack Miller
25 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

They made a 12” version that is very rare and expensive.

Yeah.  Whenever you see those big ones, the price is also substantial. 

manayunkman
46 minutes ago, Zack Miller said:

Yeah.  Whenever you see those big ones, the price is also substantial. 

Found one in Carsonville, PA many years ago.

• 1 year later...

Nice group of deck clocks, And I like the marine chronometer do you got a shot of the fusee movement? looks to be in its original gimbled wooden case. You almost got me beat in deck clocks.