Paper and photo haul

gunbunny

This week end I attended a local post card show and made some nice finds. Most are pictured below along with some thrift store, eBay, etc. finds. The first pic shows an Australian souvenir book, a Varga pinup that was popular with nose art artists, two V-Mail Christmas cards from the Pacific, a 2nd Service Cmd song book, a Chistmas card from the 83rd Sq. 12th BG, another card from the 1st Armd Rgt, 1st Armd Div, and a photo of captured Japanese equipment.

A close-up of the above items showing the inside of the Christmas cards. The Aussie book is interesting because of the label I found inside the cover.

Here's some of the photos I found ranging from pre-WWI to Vietnam. Photos on the bottom show Riverine scenes from 'Nam.

A close-up. Notice the Pennsylvania keystone insignia.

Some WWI photos. The two EM's have French style caps with one having an officer's Engineer insignia added. 89th Div officer has a waterproof cover on his cap, something I have never seen before on a WWI cap.

How wierd is this? Jungle camo in the snow. GI on the far left appears to have a 14th Armd patch on his HBT's. I have another photo somewhere that shows the stateside crew of an M12 gun carriage wearing camo as well.

post-22-0-66486300-1402870626.jpg

post-22-0-21559300-1402870629.jpg

post-22-0-70142200-1402870631.jpg

post-22-0-21629500-1402870634.jpg

post-22-0-71571300-1402870636.jpg

post-22-0-08748200-1402870639.jpg

...Here's some of the photos I found...

DSCN5029.jpg

Nice collection, gunbunny. Would you mind posting an isolated enlargement of the WWII era NCO having a beer (shown above, far right, second row from top)? Thanks.

Nice collection, gunbunny. Would you mind posting an isolated enlargement of the WWII era NCO having a beer (shown above, far right, second row from top)? Thanks.

Here's a close-up. The photo was taken post war and the T/Sgt has some unique features to his uniform. Note the service cap badge applied to the overseas cap. He has a 7th Army patch on the right sleeve and a 28th Div patch on the left. He appears to have a 109th Inf DI's that are upside down and applied to a backing material of some sort. Not the usual Combat Leader loop. His collar branch insignia is impossible to make out. He's got a Bronze Star and at least seven overseas bars.

post-22-0-75174700-1402870666.jpg

I tried slightly enlarging, enhancing, and converting the picture to a negative. Near as I can tell, his branch of service is Ordnance Corps. You can just make out the bursting grenade insignia.

post-2275-1235721104.jpg

kristopher5502

You have some really neat photos their. I especially like the photo of the two pre-WWI NGP guys. Can you make out the Company letter and Regiment number on their hat and collar pins? Is the picture on the far left of the top row one of the same guys just sitting. Can you post an enlarged copy of that one. Thanks

...Here's a close-up....

DSCN5037.jpg

Thanks for the enlargement, gunbunny.

My lucky guess is that this 109h Infantry SFC's picture dates from about 1951. Taken altogether, the scene seems to be far past WWII: 28th Infantry Division was repatriated to the Z.I. in July 1945 following a stint of occupation duty in Germany, and was inactivated December 1945 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. It was subsequently reorganized and federally recognized in the National Guard on November 1946, at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It was recalled to active federal military service September 1950, and stationed at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, from September 1950 until it was reassigned to Germany November 1951. Here is a contemporaneous unit picture from 109th Infantry at Camp Atterbury:

post-1963-1235810642.jpg

Your NCO looks like he would fit right in here and note that several soldiers are wearing large round insignia on their garrison caps. These might be one of the several Pennsylvania N.G. D.I.s instead of a standard enlisted service cap insignia (in fact, that looks like a display of Pennsylvania N.G. D.I.s on the wall behind the SFC):

post-1963-1235810735.jpg

kristopher5502
I looked at the photo with a loup and he is definitely wearing the above pictured insignia. Thanks for the info.

You have some really neat photos their. I especially like the photo of the two pre-WWI NGP guys. Can you make out the Company letter and Regiment number on their hat and collar pins? Is the picture on the far left of the top row one of the same guys just sitting. Can you post an enlarged copy of that one. Thanks

• 2 years later...