M1881 Helmet

Hello All,

I just won this on a FB Make an Offer site and want to share it here.

This is my first and I am hoping I did well with this one.

I had picked up "A Guide Book To US Army Dress Helmets 1872-1904" to study these, 

It has the one piece body(No Seems) , The strap and chin strap look correct along with the Cavalry horse hair plumb

Let me know what you think?

Semper Fi

Phil

M1881 front right.jpg

M1881 front right full side.jpg

M1881 Front badge.jpg

M1881 Top with plumb.jpg

M1881 back.jpg

M1881 liner.jpg

Looks good. There may be some inspector mark and/or contarctor information stamped under the sweatband. Easy does it if you look. These helmet bodies and the parts, plumes etc. were available surplus into the 70's. This one has that patina / dust of being together for 50 or more years out in some shop or collectors room. Thats how I like them personally. They look odd when they're too clean and pristine!   

Thank you for looking and the info shared.

I'll have a look under the sweatband when it arrives,  That is If it doesn't look/feel too fragile.

OH YEAH, I'll be really careful!!

Yes, I understand the history and that unless I have some provenance/lineage tracing it to a individual.

There might be a good chance it was "Assembled" using surplus parts. 

Especially being an Enlisted versus the private purchased officer's.

Thank you again for taking the time to look at it and give your opinion.

Semper Fi

Phil 

The chin strap is very difficult to find.  So that alone was a score.  The plume holder appears to be a restrike as sold by Stokes-Kirk (has seems on the ball). The one I bought at their store in 1972 is like that.  No big deal though- originals are available.  I would say it is an “assembled for collectors “ helmet based on it not having one hole near the top of each side where the brass cord holder would have been.  But no big deal as 99% of these helmets are assembled.

Depending on what you paid, you did fine. Nice helmet- especially with that chinstrap.   
when I was at the Stokes-Kirk store, they had a big stack of helmets- all in mint condition.  They would “build them on demand “ - $25 each.  I specifically remember the owner telling me they had no cords or chinstraps.   That’s why you don’t usually encounter them on helmets today. Somehow a chinstrap found it’s way to your helmet 

Woodymyster

Second on the plume holder being a repro from Stokes Kirk.  You can see the difference in Mark's book you mentioned, on page 59. 

Thank you for that info.

I'll have to look into the plumb holder. Would that also put the horse hair into question?

Custom built for $25.. wish I knew about that Stokes store.

I guess I didn't do so well then.

I paid $293 shipped.

Semper Fi

Phil 

Woodymyster

There is still unused cavalry plumes in their original 1902 wrapper still being sold for around $25.  I don't mean you need to buy one, but rather they are so numerous and common still, that I would almost guarantee that your plume is original.  As for your price, I would say you did well.  The plume holders dont pop up on ebay often, but keep an eye out.

Original Front plates, side buttons and plumes are easy to find. 
you should buy a set of repro cords.  Would make for a great display 

the price you paid was a good deal, especially with that chinstrap on there 

Thanks Again for the additional info, 

I'm kind of afraid to ask this,But Gotta know.

I did take another look at Mark's book and see the base of the plum holder and how it is made. Noted!!!

I could not see anything about the M1881 eagle and buttons

So are the Cavalry Eagle and buttons on mine restrikes/repops also?

Semper Fi

Phil 

I just looked up W. Stokes Kirk and see his store was in Philadelphia.

I grew up in NE Philly. 

WOW I really missed out!!!!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Take Care and Stay Safe

Semper Fi

Phil

illinigander

Someone- I think W.S.K. or an employee used to set-up at the Ohio Gun Collectors show in the late '60's early '70's.  I bought a prairie belt there for $20, with a choice of about 10.

illinigander 

My M1881 example showed up today.

I am very happy with the condition 

Going to follow Marks book on cleaning it. Just want to get the layer of dust off the felt. No polishing the Brass I Promise!!

I did a real quick inspection and found this under the sweatband.  I going to take more time tomorrow and look for more.

So is this the Normal Horstmann date stamp?

2137190642_M1881sweatbandstamp.jpeg.039c5b345a77ca7b6de57f70094f9a9c.jpeg

Semper Fi

Phil