45th ID marked helmets

sgtbarnes44

cracking pictures..

just got me thinking...i was at a fair in surrey england along with gi44 ( chris ) last year,bumped into a guy walking around with a 45th unit marked fixed bail pot..he had taken the pot to this fair to have it checked out by anyone with any idea on the markings..nice honest dealer informed him it was worth about £100 ( $190 )..yer right..(.remember chris..?..)..we put him right on that one.anyway the guy did not take it to sell just wanted a little info on the pot,now heres the story he told me and chris on how i came to have this..his father found it on the railway tracks just out side of portsmouth in the south of england while playing with his mates during the war....it was then given to him by his mother just after his father had passed away as a keep-sake..the guy wasnt a collector and only held on to it as it was kept all that time by his late father..nice story..

heres the Q..where the 45th in the south of england during the war...rollin down the tracks to where ever..was this a common helmet marking with this unit.

• 11 months later...

Strange finding a 45th div helmet in the UK... 45th was never in the UK.

45th stencils on helmet seem to be late war.

I know a 45th helmet liner found in southern france and two shells from the Alsace area.

Thunderbirds on the steel shells are mini combat size circa 1 inch.

have a look at

http://thunderbird88.skyrock.com/1.html

heres one. ww2 had to be late war. you never see early or mid war pictures of painted lids. as for korea--- i ask a 45th vet about painted lids in korea and he said never.

post-73-1205074110.jpg

post-73-1205074144.jpg