Translation book and blood chit?

Martinjmpr

My 85 year old mother is going through some boxes from her recent move and came across this item.  It's a small pamphlet-sized book called a "pointie-talkie."  Language is English to Chinese.  There are some color illustrations in the back that show soldiers in uniform, so it appears it may have been intended for military personnel deployed to China during or after WWII.  There are no dates or publishers on the book I can find, and it appears to be low quality "pulp" paper.  

Folded up inside the book was what appears to be a blood chit.  It does have a serial number but I don't know if it's an authentic blood chit or some kind of reproduction.  Both of these were in possession of my maternal grandfather.  He was 40 when the war started and managed a bank in a small town in Oklahoma, so I don't know how he would have come into possession of them, but he did write his name in the front of the book.  

Any idea what this was or how much it may be worth?  The blood chit appears to be made of silk or some very light, thin material.  Is there a way to look up the SN to see if it's valid?  I have heard that people collect genuine blood chits but I don't know how to verify the authenticity of this one.  

Thanks in advance!  I can get more pictures if need be.  

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

BlueBookGuy
11 hours ago, Martinjmpr said:

My 85 year old mother is going through some boxes from her recent move and came across this item.  It's a small pamphlet-sized book called a "pointie-talkie."  Language is English to Chinese.  There are some color illustrations in the back that show soldiers in uniform, so it appears it may have been intended for military personnel deployed to China during or after WWII.  There are no dates or publishers on the book I can find, and it appears to be low quality "pulp" paper.  

Folded up inside the book was what appears to be a blood chit.  It does have a serial number but I don't know if it's an authentic blood chit or some kind of reproduction.  Both of these were in possession of my maternal grandfather.  He was 40 when the war started and managed a bank in a small town in Oklahoma, so I don't know how he would have come into possession of them, but he did write his name in the front of the book.  

Any idea what this was or how much it may be worth?  The blood chit appears to be made of silk or some very light, thin material.  Is there a way to look up the SN to see if it's valid?  I have heard that people collect genuine blood chits but I don't know how to verify the authenticity of this one.  

Thanks in advance!  I can get more pictures if need be.  

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

hello,

do not know about your booklet (should be original in my opinion though), but the Chit is a good and valid specimen of the late-war, Washington-issued type that is made in thin rayon (not silk). In turn this variant had been made in subvariant (1) and (2), this latter is your's  (photo doesn't shows any detail of the pinkish squared 'seal' printed at bottom left, is it just much faded?) Differences are very slight, and only regarding the Chinese language text.

I think production started about early November 1944, specifically for use by US aviators in China and both had been made in great quantities, with serial numbers reaching well above #200,000 in the later (2) variant.

Hope this helps.

*  I've got one specimen of each variant among my Chits collection, here a picture.

22.JPG.019d84c28d33595ad70c3c74a0a9746a.JPG

The blood chit looks like it was never "chopped" with the red stamp from the Chinese Aero Commission.   After the war ended the Government organization that ran the war bonds programs obtained left over blood chits like this style and presented them with a letter of appreciation to people who had worked selling or handling the war bonds.  The can be identified by the very large accountability number and the lack of a "chop".   As far as price goes who knows...  Maybe $75.00 to 150.00 .....     Being as your relative worked in a bank during the war would be a good indicator that this is the case.

Unless like some one mentioned earlier the chop is really faint.

BlueBookGuy
4 hours ago, Survival said:

The blood chit looks like it was never "chopped" with the red stamp from the Chinese Aero Commission.   After the war ended the Government organization that ran the war bonds programs obtained left over blood chits like this style and presented them with a letter of appreciation to people who had worked selling or handling the war bonds.  The can be identified by the very large accountability number and the lack of a "chop".   As far as price goes who knows...  Maybe $75.00 to 150.00 .....     Being as your relative worked in a bank during the war would be a good indicator that this is the case.

Unless like some one mentioned earlier the chop is really faint.

An interesting explaination, I wasn't aware of that postwar thing of presenting leftover Chits to certain people. In fact I said of a very faint chop but, if looking much closely it appears like the chop isn't there at all.

I have an example I can post when ever I can find it.    I don't think the letters that were sent out with the chits were from the same office.  I believe they sent packages of the surplus chits to the regional offices where they were sent out with a thank you letter to those who helped with the programs.