Very Cool WWI Mk.II "BUY W.S.S." Grenade

J.Q.M.D.

Greetings all,

I recently won this very cool grenade at an auction and I thought I would share it here.  I really bought it for the early cutback fuse, but I may just keep it as is.  It's a WWI Mk.II Pineapple that was converted into a coin bank.  It has "BUY W.S.S." (Buy War Savings Stamps) on the side and a slot cut into it for coins.  I haven't been able to find much info on these, so if anyone could offer some insight into it, I would greatly appreciate it!  For now it'll sit proudly next to my other WWI Mk.II. 

WSS-1.jpg

WSS-2.jpg

WSS-3.jpg

WSS-4.jpg

WSS-5.jpg

WWI-1.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Nice find. As you stated the early cut back fuse is what you wanted. It's especially nice with the P&FC marking on the lever.

Just wondering which auction you attended. Was there more Inert Ordnance offered? I'm finding less available as time goes by.

10 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Nice find. As you stated the early cut back fuse is what you wanted. It's especially nice with the P&FC marking on the lever.

Just wondering which auction you attended. Was there more Inert Ordnance offered? I'm finding less available as time goes by.

I got it at an auction held by Centurion Auctions in Florida.  There were several other lots of grenades and other ordnance I bid on, but this was the only one I was able to get.  Also in my lot was a nice earlier Mk.II with the OD overpaint.

Persian Gulf Command
1 minute ago, J.Q.M.D. said:

I got it at an auction held by Centurion Auctions in Florida.  There were several other lots of grenades and other ordnance I bid on, but this was the only one I was able to get.  Also in my lot was a nice earlier Mk.II with the OD overpaint.

Thank you!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 8:44 PM, thorin6 said:

This might be easier to read:

Savings Bank Info.png

That's really cool!  Thanks for posting that. Any idea what the date is on the newspaper?