Opinion on WWII camo painted FS/FB M1

elh1311

I'm not here to disparage the seller, if he's on here. Knowing what I know about camo painted, WWII M1 helmets (which is not much at all), the only thing I can say with confidence is that when found, they're not cheap. 

I don't intend to purchase this helmet but rather I'm looking to tap into the knowledge of this forum. My novice opinion is that this a field repaint. There is a service number and name on the inside, along with similar paint.

Who knows? I researched 27th ID painted helmets on Saipan and they don't look similar to this one. 

Hoping to be proven wrong.  

img_1_1658881831002.jpg

img_2_1658881836737.jpg

img_3_1658881843564.jpg

img_4_1658881849558.jpg

img_5_1658881855843.jpg

img_8_1658881873426.jpg

img_10_1658881886562.jpg

img_6_1658881861792.jpg

img_7_1658881867759.jpg

img_9_1658881879491.jpg

seller is on FB. 

I dont see camo.just multi layers of paint thats been worn pr messed with along with the removal of paint to expose the numbers

manayunkman

I thought the same thing, paint loss and ugly at that.

And who knows when all those layers were painted on, some of it looks post WW2.

It's on Facebook and it's not my place to point out what I "think" is wrong or right. The buyer has as much responsibility as the seller does. I don't think this a camo set, just one with multiple repaints and, as said before, ugly paint loss. 

It is enough that these idiots dig out the heat lot numbers to make me walk away from it.

I used t to know a guy that would "dig for decals" on all of his german camo helmets.  Too much "Rat Patrol"...

Brian Keith

It looks to me that the WW II Liner once had a "comb" attached to it for OPFOR use in the '50's. There is a thread about them somewhere. Personally, it was more interesting if the comb had not been removed. Far fewer OPFOR M-1 liners out there. Likely, who ever removed the comb didn't know it was an original Army modification. 

BKW

There are a few identical ones to this floating around.  I know of at least one other.  These have been passed around rather quickly in the M1 community on Facebook, which is usually not a good sign.  I cannot tell if it was this exact helmet being bought and sold or a similar one(s).

The liner has a 50s era sweatband which--if it is original to the shell--severely limits its ability to be considered a WWII set.  I agree with the notion above that the liner had a comb or at the very least a stripe on top.  Additionally, the riveted chinstraps are non-factory and usually not WWII era, although it would be impossible to say when this refurbishment was made.  My opinion is the straps were likely added recently in an attempt to increase value as they do not match the heavy wear exhibited by the shell. 

I would avoid it personally, I think it is a helmet that would trap a novice collector into spending a lot of money on a "camo" helmet. 

11 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

It looks to me that the WW II Liner once had a "comb" attached to it for OPFOR use in the '50's. There is a thread about them somewhere. Personally, it was more interesting if the comb had not been removed. Far fewer OPFOR M-1 liners out there. Likely, who ever removed the comb didn't know it was an original Army modification. 

BKW

I think the chinstraps are reproduction as well. Well anyway, it hasn't had any activity for a couple of days. Maybe everyone sees it for what it is too.