1949 "Know Your Allies" * "Connaissez Vos Allies"

hhbooker2

:rolleyes: In 1949 "Know Your ALlies" (French: "Connaissez Vos Allies" was printed by P.F.L. Daniel, 14 Marignan Street, Paris, France. It was authorized by both the Supreme Allied Commander General Alfred M. Gruenther, U.S. Army Chief of Staff. One page 6 it read: "Distinguishing Features of Insignia of the Armed Forces of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Officers." In this booklet they show in colour the insignia and uniforms of Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, United Kingdom, and the United States. Presented here are the insignia and uniforms of the United States Armed Forces; U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Navy. There are 107 pages, what I'm presentinmg here are pages 101 through 107, page 102 was left blank intentionally by the printer, of course! The images have been reduced to fit here, not greater than 149 KB, but! If you want to see and have them larger, email me at: [email protected] (Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California) and I shall send larger images plus all of those of our then allies as well! :rolleyes:

post-837-1235591968.jpg

think.gif Page 101. "The Armed Forces of the United States of America" (French: "Les Forces Armees Des Etats-Unis."

post-837-1235592100.jpg

ermm.gif Page 103. (NOTA BENE: Page 102 left blank intentionally by printer). "Officers and Warrant Officers - Navy" (French: "Officiers et Aspirants - Marine.")

post-837-1235592231.jpg

;) Page 104. "Worn Above Left Jacket Pocket." (French: "Se Porte Au-Dessus de la Poche Gauche.") "Worn On the Sleeve in Places of the Stars of the Line." (French: Se Porte Sur le Bas de la Manche a la Place de L'Etoile.")

post-837-1235592407.jpg

thumbsup.gif Page 105. "Other Ranks - Navy" (French: Les Autres Grades - Marina." [Note the chief petty officer and petty officers do not show the specialty marks below the eagles!]

post-837-1235592537.jpg

:unsure: Page 106. Insignes. (French: "Suite). "The uniform and insignia of the United States Coast Guard are identical to those of the United States Navy, except for the cap badge and shield shown above, worn in place of the star of the line above the rings of rank." (French: "Les tenues et les insignes de casquette et de l'ecusson ci-dessus qui se porte sur le manche a la place de l'etoile.") They go on to describe in English and in French the emblem of the United States Marine Corps as well, saying their uniform is similiar to that of the U.S. Army, I'd beg to differ as Marine Green and Army olive drab are quite different as is the cut of those uniforms too!

post-837-1235592835.jpg

pinch.gif Page 107. "Officers - Army" (French: Officiers - Terre). Note the shoulder sleeve insignia on the upper left arm is that of the First Infantry Division ("Bloody Red One!")

post-837-1235593039.jpg

:lol: Page 108. "Officers - Insignia of Branch and Staff." (French: "Officiers - Les insignes d'Armee et d'Etat-Major.")

post-837-1235593159.jpg

:( Page 109. "Other Ranks - Army." (French: "Les Autres Grades - Terre.") (NOTA BENE: "Other ranks" is what enlistedmen and enlisted-women were called in other countries). Also you can see they show warrant officer rank and branch insignia with "other ranks" here as European armies that have warrant officers class them as senior non-commissioned offiecers. Here they are showing the rank insignia worn by warrants from 1942-1952, these were changed in 1952 and I believe again in 1972?

post-837-1235593402.jpg

:o Page 111. "Other Ranks - Air." (French: "Les Autres Grades - Air." Note the battledress jacket, we called this the Ike or Eisenhower jacket, they only issued these for a short time in the U.S. Air Force. I saw the older style army Ike jacket in olive drab with the newer USAF chevrons, quite a contrast! Hope that you enjoyed seeing how they saw us overseas. :o Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1235593785.jpg

• 1 year later...
:o Page 111. "Other Ranks - Air." (French: "Les Autres Grades - Air." Note the battledress jacket, we called this the Ike or Eisenhower jacket, they only issued these for a short time in the U.S. Air Force. I saw the older style army Ike jacket in olive drab with the newer USAF chevrons, quite a contrast! Hope that you enjoyed seeing how they saw us overseas. :o Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

I'm not sure when the Air Force stopped issuing "Ike" jackets, but they were phased out 31 May 1964. Unless things were different then, in my experience (since '75) the announcement that some item will no longer be authorized is usually about 3 years prior to the phase out date. If it was an issue item, that stops at that time. Question may be, well was the Ike still issued in 1961; or was it an optional purchase by then? Still, I believe we could all agree a whole decade+ is more than a short time.

Yes, we had quite a lot of publications like that given to us in the Army of the United States in the 1950s, however most were thrown away unread by troops who were not interested, same thing with the "Soldier's Manual" we got on the first day which I read through and through, didn't see anyone else reading it, isn't that odd? We had quite nice wall posters showing our rank and branch insignia compared to foreign armies as well - hardly anyone I know collect these and I have most of them rolled up and in cardboard tubes to preserve. See if your own copy differs from mine and if it does, scan it and share it with us! Thank you! HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011! Sarge Booker of Tujunga ([email protected]) Also go and see the free web library at: http://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942?feat=email :think:

post-837-1293748067.jpg