USAF Parachute

ottodog8

Picked this up at a local antique shop. What do I have? What kind of aircraft was it used in? I have some knowledge of USAF helmets and weapons, but know nothing about these. I just like flight gear from the 50's and 60's

Thanks

Steve

DSC00991.JPG

DSC00992.JPG

DSC00993.JPG

DSC00994.JPG

DSC00995.JPG

DSC00998.JPG

phantomfixer

More in this thread and others 

Look like and I think it is a BA-18 with the desirable blast handle and orange pull handle that would connect to a zero delay lanyard, used in conjunction with  certain ejection seats ...

looks to be mostly complete with the F-1 automatic canopy release(score), the bailout bottle is missing, but easily replaced...

others will know more about the aircraft and handle configuration....

you found a good one

It's a very hard to find USAF BA-series parachute (BA-18 or 21 version, I guess). Missing the the automatic opening cable and its attachment loop coming from the F-1 automatic canopy release box.

Franck

Thanks guys. Many years ago I had an idea of setting up a late 1950s USAF pilot mannequin in an ejection seat. I gathered everything from the boots to P-4b helmet with mask, even a beautiful example of the rare Aircrewman pistol and holster. I picked up a regular backpack chute, mostly because it was inexpensive and I know little about them. 

I abandoned the project because I woke up and realized how much room an ejection seat takes up. I sold the Aircrewman (one of the few pieces I've parted with that I regret), but still have everything else. 

But the idea won't go away. Over the years I've  picked up some later pieces, such as a beautiful HGU-2/P helmet and mask, and a very nice USAF marked Smith & Wesson M15 pistol. Guess I've progressed from the late 50s to the 1960s. When I saw this at the antique shop, I still didn't know what it was, but I knew it was cool. It was reasonably priced, and I couldn't leave it there.

I'd love to know what aircraft this chute was used in, if anyone has an idea. 

Thanks again,

Steve

3 hours ago, ottodog8 said:

Thanks guys. Many years ago I had an idea of setting up a late 1950s USAF pilot mannequin in an ejection seat. I gathered everything from the boots to P-4b helmet with mask, even a beautiful example of the rare Aircrewman pistol and holster. I picked up a regular backpack chute, mostly because it was inexpensive and I know little about them. 

I abandoned the project because I woke up and realized how much room an ejection seat takes up. I sold the Aircrewman (one of the few pieces I've parted with that I regret), but still have everything else. 

But the idea won't go away. Over the years I've  picked up some later pieces, such as a beautiful HGU-2/P helmet and mask, and a very nice USAF marked Smith & Wesson M15 pistol. Guess I've progressed from the late 50s to the 1960s. When I saw this at the antique shop, I still didn't know what it was, but I knew it was cool. It was reasonably priced, and I couldn't leave it there.

I'd love to know what aircraft this chute was used in, if anyone has an idea. 

Thanks again,

Steve

There is a number of aircraft from the 60s it would have been used in.  Various fighters, possibly trainers and even certain airlift aircraft.  Check on the inner side lower area (hips) of the harness.  There should be a small pocket that holds the log book.  If the log is still in there, it might have the activity the chute came from which might give you an idea of aircraft.  Could probably do a setup for something like an F-100, F-102, or F-106 etc with this chute.

phantomfixer

unmodified T-38s still use a BA-22(?) parachute...the 106 used a ballistic parachute..

Logbook is on the inner rt shoulder(?)...

BlueBookGuy

... as a sidenote, I wondered time ago when the blast handle could be arrived on the scene   -   I thought not too early, maybe mid-'60s or after, but when I got my first BA-18 the mfg. date was early 1962.  Suppose its blast handle is original to the rest (harness, hardware etc.) so at least we have an earlier date for this handle as related to the -18.

Do not know what about the BA-15, but vintage photos I've seen of the -15 duly show the cloverleaf-type handle. Could the blast type first arrived together with the -18?

In the end the -18, complete and in great shape turned out useful to complete my Italian F-104G pilot of 1963 - 64, virtually like an USAF pilot wearing a mix of US-made and Italian (license-made) items of clothing and equipment. No cloverleaf-type handle at all for the BA-18s in all vintage photos I've ever seen of IAF pilots from those early years, just starting to appear after 1966 - 67.

005.jpg.7207212382c3a86c8c8a689e1a4c6e55.jpg

Also interesting could be any known date of when the orange plastic box (container of cable reel for the side ripcord) came into the scene. Here a 1962-dated BA-18 does have the old type of quick opener (brick-red knob + lanyard + protective coiled spring) to wich a 'zero-lanyard' + red hook has been added.

007.jpg.0001bb67869110e98ee060f7f0cceb2b.jpg

008.jpg.0e51634ccc8b51699c663532795e8ea3.jpg

BlueBookGuy
1 hour ago, Jpage said:

What's a "blast handle" ?

It is the style of ripcord handle as shown in the above photos. Quite different from the more usual 'D'- handle, or the so-called 'cloverleaf' handle.

10 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

unmodified T-38s still use a BA-22(?) parachute...the 106 used a ballistic parachute..

Logbook is on the inner rt shoulder(?)...

Yes, T-38A/AT-38A use the BA-22 chute still with the old Northrop seats.  They even have the regular D handle ripcord vs the Blast style.  Airlift stuff will still carry them like in the C-130 and C-17 for when the ramps are open for airborne ops and what not.  You will see the loadmaster  wearing them more so for the High Alt stuff vs low.  Low stuff they seem to wear the PCU-17 monkey harness vs the back chute.  When my buddy was at Benning with his 130, the airborne school jumpmasters actually were wearing the newer vacuum packed Navy style back chutes.   I know the USAF used to carry more AFE stuff like that on airlift planes but over the past 10 yrs or so have been removing them from the aircraft as the bean counters have seen that the extra weight used extra fuel.  Ill assume those are folks located at Scott AFB for AMC.

phantomfixer
1 hour ago, mohawkALSE said:

Yes, T-38A/AT-38A use the BA-22 chute still with the old Northrop seats.  They even have the regular D handle ripcord vs the Blast style.  Airlift stuff will still carry them like in the C-130 and C-17 for when the ramps are open for airborne ops and what not.  You will see the loadmaster  wearing them more so for the High Alt stuff vs low.  Low stuff they seem to wear the PCU-17 monkey harness vs the back chute.  When my buddy was at Benning with his 130, the airborne school jumpmasters actually were wearing the newer vacuum packed Navy style back chutes.   I know the USAF used to carry more AFE stuff like that on airlift planes but over the past 10 yrs or so have been removing them from the aircraft as the bean counters have seen that the extra weight used extra fuel.  Ill assume those are folks located at Scott AFB for AMC.

Life support here at Dover has the 22 for airdrops and SOLL II OPS.. I was lucky to grab a complete 22 before it went to DRMO in pieces…

the T-38s at Langley are the old seats.. 71st FS(?)… hoping to get down there and beg a zero delay lanyard…

11 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

Life support here at Dover has the 22 for airdrops and SOLL II OPS.. I was lucky to grab a complete 22 before it went to DRMO in pieces…

the T-38s at Langley are the old seats.. 71st FS(?)… hoping to get down there and beg a zero delay lanyard…

I had bought a fairly complete 22 at OSH like 20 yrs ago.  Had the usual items pulled when it was surplussed like the H-2 Bailout bottle,  the FXC-11000 ARR, the URT-33C/M and the SRU-16 min survival kit.  Still had the complete in tact chute, harness with the CRU wedge mount and the URT flex antenna.  Was yellow tagged and came with all the logs and Mx records, even for the ARR.  Was interesting to see it came from a NATO E-3 unit in Germany.  The pack part of the chute was also an OD green color vs the usual sage like the harness webbing was etc.  The backpad was also OD green.   The tag showed it was pulled from service as NO LONGER REQUIRED.  I guess they pulled their chutes off those jets a while ago.  Had it inspected and packed by a FAA rigger 1 time.  Id like to complete it one of these days with all the goodies and get it repacked.  Coming from a E-3, I dont think the ARR  on mine ever had the lanyard not being for an ejection seat.  The harness still has the small strap that was tacked in place to hold the AAR actuating/arming knob.