USGI Holster?

gap

RustyCanteen

It isn't USGI issue, but it certainly is plausible it was made for or purchased by a GI. From the imprint, possibly once contained a US .45 DA revolver (something like the M1917) or possibly something like a UK Webley MK VI - however I should state it is not UK 'Tommy' issue either. I would assume this is a commercially produced holster for the civilian market being the most likely answer. 

The belt loop design (only one) looks a little flimsy for a military holster, but you might try posting it on our sister forum for non-US militaria in the event someone can tell you more. https://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/

RC

Charlie Flick

I agree with Rusty Canteen's assessment.  It is not USGI and appears to be made for a large frame revolver.  If it had any military use I would guess that it was by a State Guard or Militia outfit during WW2.  They were poorly equipped and often supplied some of their own gear or rounded up what was available from the local hardware store.  It is typical of the inexpensive generic holsters sold by hardware/mail order/sporting good supplies in the first half of the 20th Century.  It would not hold up to heavy field use.

Regards,

Charlie