War Dog Blue Star Flag?

Abby K-9

I recently obtained a September 1943 issue of "Popular Dogs" magazine, which was essentially a magazine for show dog people. The particular issue I got is the "Dogs for Defense Issue", covering various aspects of working dogs in World War II.

There are two photos in the magazine, one on the cover and one further back, of a flag / sign that appears to be modeled after the Blue Star Flag, except that it has the silhouette of a dog's head (a German Shepherd) in the center instead of the star. I assume this would be the same color as the Blue Star flag: white background, red border, blue center. I'm including the pictures below.

Has anyone seen this flag in real life, or has one in their collection?

On the cover of the magazine.

CoverFlag-vi.jpg

From the article at the back of the magazine, to either side of the large Shepherd painting.

BlueStarFlag-vi.jpg

I havent seen one before, thanks for sharing.

With the amount of dogs that were donated for service I would imagine that there were many of this flag around during the war.

On the same token I would say that one would be rare today.

Abby,

I have never seen the flag, but I did happen to have this dog tag laying on the desk when I was reading your post. Thought members might enjoy it.

post-2063-1235568653.jpg

post-2063-1235568659.jpg

vintageproductions

Hunter, that is definately a cool tag. Here's a Dogs For Defense piece I have had for awhile. It is by Gorham silvever and has the breeder's and dogs name etched on the side. I don't collect DFD items but for some reason have always liked this.

dfd1.JPG

dgd2.JPG

I dont think this is a "flag" in respect.

It looks a Generic "Serving our country" style portrait. for DOG.

Maybe the owners had the dogs name written in the lower boarder.?

Just my 2 cents, then again, i could be waaaay off.

Carey

Hello,

I know we are getting off topic on the flag, but I think some of these items would be interesting. I had to scan them in black and white at low resolution to fit the forum's size regulation so I hope they turn out.

P.S. It's my idea that perhaps the flag could be given to people who donated their dogs. Like Son in Service banners were in GI family homes , this could be the same thing but given to donated dog's owners.

post-2063-1235600279.jpg

Great Dogs for Defense items, everyone! I realize they're going off topic, but if any of you have more you'd like to share, please do so. I enjoy seeing them, and I'm sure others do as well.

Does anyone have a Marine Corps war dog records book?

I had to erase a lot of this picture in Paint to make it in color and so it would fit, but the letter is completely intact in real life. Also note how it mentions a "Star of Merit" in the red letters. Apparently this "Star of Merit" could be given to the dogs.

post-2063-1235600850.jpg

Finally the certificate, and the envelope that all of this came in. Hope ya'll enjoy! Thanks for starting such a great topic, Abby! Hope you find out what your banner is! War animals have such a very important, yet very overlooked, part of military history dating to the earliest battles. My father has always enjoyed collecting WWII homing pigeon items! :)

Had to semi-butcher this one with the Paint eraser too.

post-2063-1235601239.jpg

all-bull, did you get that grouping of war dog documents on eBay? I bid on something similar a couple of months ago, might've been this one?