Bring back Type 44 Carbine

Timberwolf

I always enjoy when stuff comes full circle! A Type 44 Carbine has always been on my wishlist but figured I’d probably never get one that has some provenance. Well I finally was able to. I’ve owned Cpl. Eiche of the 7th Marine Service Regiment’s coat for several years, and this year I got in contact with his son. Eiche was present during the Battle of Saipan and Okinawa, and performed occupation duty in China. His son out of the blue offered me a rifle his dad brought home, as he is on hospice. I actually had no clue what it was when I agreed to purchase it, when I sent me pics later my jaw dropped. Needless to say I’m honored to own it and have it with his uniform. Mum is ground and has a few mismatched parts (bayonet assembly, bolt and sights, which actually makes me think Arsenal rework) but I’m happy to finally have one.

5CAC4FB3-3941-479A-BA20-96CA760E2B39.jpeg

17B0F3E0-91DF-4CB2-B30C-7B4ADB42E22D.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Great find, but I loved the story of how you acquired and reunited the piece, even more. Congratulations!

Paul

I'd love to run into one of them one day. I missed one once by a couple of hours at an antique and gun shop I used to frequent. Now closed as so many shops are in my area.

21 hours ago, sundance said:

I'd love to run into one of them one day. I missed one once by a couple of hours at an antique and gun shop I used to frequent. Now closed as so many shops are in my area.

Dang that is a bummer. I'm glad I finally got one though. When he told me his dad had a brought home a rifle, I honestly thought it was going to be a Type 99.

5 hours ago, Smokeshow said:

That’s really a great find! Not a ton of these floating around out there. 

Thank you! There really isn’t, I’ve always found them fascinating and honestly handy looking carbines!

Brian Dentino

Well done and a nice addition on this one Ben!  Awesome to have a name (at least) with a bring back weapon!  Congrats, and a great looking WWII USMC Alpha/bring-back display!!!!  I really have to make it down your way sometime soon and check out your goodies.....and maybe a dinner to boot!

On 8/2/2022 at 2:55 PM, 1st Sgt CES said:

Great Stuff and a really nice uniform

Thanks! It was already one of my favorites, and it definitely made it one of my top 5's!

On 8/2/2022 at 8:12 PM, Brian Dentino said:

Well done and a nice addition on this one Ben!  Awesome to have a name (at least) with a bring back weapon!  Congrats, and a great looking WWII USMC Alpha/bring-back display!!!!  I really have to make it down your way sometime soon and check out your goodies.....and maybe a dinner to boot!

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, lambo35 said:

Sling swivel should be on the left side, probably reversed while being shipped home and reassembled.

Chuck.

Interesting info