Grenade chest rig

Two questions. One how come these are easy to find in great shape and fairly cheap. 

the other. How come there isn’t as many pictures of these being worn or used

You answered your own question 😉

Made in large quantities but issued in only very small numbers (if any) in WW1 and a few being used by Marines in WW2 make for a huge amount available on the surplus market (where they would have limited civilian use I guess), and less interest from collectors.

I don't know why these weren't issued in great numbers in WW1... maybe the troops didn't like them?

I believe they did not get adopted until very late in the war. I have only seen two images of them being worn by Doughboys. Many were produced for the anticipated offensive campaigns planned for 1919.

Perhaps the grenade launcher doctrine changed after the war leaving these bandoliers in storage for many years until they were sold off and found their way onto the surplus market.

manayunkman

The reason why these are cheap is because the market was flooded with them and nobody wants them.

Huge supply with no demand = cheap

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

The grenade carrier vests were used during WW1.  For the moment, I have been able to observe it on several photographs of the VB grenade launcher shooter.  The oldest I have seen is on men of the 42nd Div in May 1918 in the Moselle sector.  I think it's the business of supply and demand (and lack of information) that's driving the prices down today.

Aurel 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey ! 

I found one last year near Fismes on the 308th INF ~July 1918 positions, before the Argonne.

it's not in great shape but it's here... i found the buckle and 11 buttons ( one is still visible in the red circle, stuck to the VB)

And of course the grenades stayed there !

Robin

received_566152495203412.jpeg

received_534478128481594.jpeg