WWI 5th Marine ID?

tonk

I have been searching for a couple hours but no luck finding this specific SSI.  I found square shaped ones? Do the shapes have different meaning? or time frame? Who or where would I go to research a veteran from this unit? Thanks! 

u1.JPG

15th Separation Battalion. Is it on a uniform??? The last time I checked, there were only two original patched uniforms that I am aware of, Eric Queen a moderator on this forum has one and I am lucky enough to have the other. Both are named or attributed to the Marine who wore them. Eric is an expert on this unit and wrote an outstanding article detailing their history. If I recall correctly there was about 725 Marines and they were some of the last ones to get back home after the war. Assembled primarily as a security detail for a democratic process in Northern German after WWI. I hope Eric chimes in and adds details. Kevin

Here is the one in my collection as well as an original painted helmet the Battalion wore. The helmets come up now and again as well as loose patches, but the patched uniforms especially attributed are quite rare. 

3139873A-CD9E-47A7-852B-96C052E45098.jpeg

9019999A-C0BA-46FA-95B0-73B6A3D92BDF.jpeg

Thank you Kevin for the kind words regarding the article and I know both Roger and Dad would appreciate it also. 

Tonk, no doubt in my mind that is an original patch. In 40 years I have seen a total of three (3) loose ones and two (2) on uniforms and one (1) on a Khaki overseas cap. Is that one on a uniform (seems to be)?. Is it named/attributed? 

All I can say is if it isn't yours and you can get it. GET IT !! 

Thank you very much Kevin & Eric, that is the most thorough reply I have ever received. Yes, on a uniform/named.

Sweet. If you have his name I am sure you can find out which company he was with (A, B, C or D) on Ancestry. 

Would love to see more of the uniform as time permits. 

54 minutes ago, Eric Queen said:

Sweet. If you have his name I am sure you can find out which company he was with (A, B, C or D) on Ancestry. 

Would love to see more of the uniform as time permits. 

Make that a second for me, would love to see more photos! Good luck. Kevin

• 2 months later...
Schnicklfritz
On 7/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, tonk said:

Thank you very much Kevin & Eric, that is the most thorough reply I have ever received. Yes, on a uniform/named.

Cool. Yes, very rare indeed. Now for a further question. Is it on a Marine 1917 style uniform or the Army style uniform?