Dug Up Artillery Round. Can not figure this one out.

Ltbigtoe1

Found this while digging in our back yard here in New Mexico.......... measurements are not exact with all of the rust scale but it measures 60mm x 210mm. any info would be appreciated. Need to know if its safe. 

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.png

Dirt Detective

Looks about the size of a 57mm.  I wonder if the 1898 on the fuze is a date?  Here is a WWII practice base fuze for a 37mm round and they exploded the shell very good.  Lets see what others think.

base2.jpg

base1.jpg

I was thinking about the base fuze because that is exactly what it appears to be. I could not find any info on the manufacturer. I have been told by a reliable source that 1898 is the date and. they believe it to be inert because of the flat tip nose and with all of the rust there is nothing “leaking” out the bottom. And that it might just have been used as a plug and its empty. He is not 100% as its only pictures and he will have eyes on it within a week. Just hard to find actual intel on something 125yrs old

Dirt Detective

It's a cool piece and would love to have it if inert but as with all ground found old ordnance nothing is 100%.  My guess is its live and filled with powder designed to be set off from the base fuze.  If there is nothing inside it...why even put a fuze in it.   I've also been looking for info and cant find much.   Maybe your buddy will have more info when he see's it but nothing is worth your life.   

The unmarked ( clean) driving band indicates it has not been fired. Also, the driving band is a low pressure type, low velocity confirming its 1898 manufactured date. So, it is not a dud, ( fired from a tube but failed to detonate). Take it from there. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2022 at 5:09 PM, 917601 said:

The unmarked ( clean) driving band indicates it has not been fired. Also, the driving band is a low pressure type, low velocity confirming its 1898 manufactured date. So, it is not a dud, ( fired from a tube but failed to detonate). Take it from there. 

Do you visually identify it as a low pressure driving band because of how wide the band is? Curious for my own knowledge. Thanks