Help with an IL DI

illinigander

illinigander

I have a friend who collects IL DI's.  He is looking for an example  for the 487th Organized Reserve of Illinois.  This apparently is not to be confused with the 487th Artillery Battalion which is a different unit.  The motto for the unit consists of a "strange bird" and the text is: BIRD WHICH DEVOURES MAN.  I know nothing about collecting DI's, so has anyone ever seen one?  Thank you.

illinigander

The unit is the 487th Field Artillery Regiment. The motto is PIASA which translates into “Bird Which Devours Man”. 

Very rare piece, trying to obtain image for you. 

illinigander

Thank you tredhed2.  Now the PIASA makes sense.  Early white explorers traveling down the Missisippi River found a very large image of a bird painted on a rock cliff, which became southern Illinois.  Early settlers quarried these rocks and destroyed this petroglyth.  Several sketches survive, but it is not known how authentic they are.

illinigander

Here's your image. The motto is in an unk (to me) Native American language, as are several other DIs. As stated, it was considered rare in the early 50s and even more so today,. 

487th FA Regt.jpg