Dose anyone make a good repro m1

helmut

On 7/14/2022 at 2:25 PM, elh1311 said:

At The Front and J. Murray 1944. 

I looked at ATF. I also looked at Top Pots and they appear to offer the same tiers of helmets depending on which level of accuracy you select and other options such as the M2. I wind if top pots makes helmets for ATF? Top Pots states they possess several original machines to make accurate webbing and bar tack the chin straps and I would venture a guess to say not a lot of other vendors have those machines or want to invest in buying those machines for their own when they could just buy them? 

27 minutes ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

My friend bought a repro helmet at ATF... It was JUNK

Interesting. Which one did he get? The inexpensive $85 one or the more expensive $200 one? What was junk about it? 

23 hours ago, Smokeshow said:

I looked at ATF. I also looked at Top Pots and they appear to offer the same tiers of helmets depending on which level of accuracy you select and other options such as the M2. I wind if top pots makes helmets for ATF? Top Pots states they possess several original machines to make accurate webbing and bar tack the chin straps and I would venture a guess to say not a lot of other vendors have those machines or want to invest in buying those machines for their own when they could just buy them? 

I might buy one from top pot. they do have nice repro liner and the shells look close enough to OG's

15 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

My friend bought a repro helmet at ATF... It was JUNK

I know that the fixed bails shell from ATF have a lighter paint and j murray has a correct color

USMC_COLLECTOR

Ok. Sorry to drop a bomb like that and leave… 🤣 It really came down to those darn Repro liners. He bought the renenacter special which was 85.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:10 PM, Smokeshow said:

Interesting. Which one did he get? The inexpensive $85 one or the more expensive $200 one? What was junk about it? 

And with correctness I’m not surprised at all the jMurray is superb.

USMC_COLLECTOR
10 hours ago, helmut said:

I know that the fixed bails shell from ATF have a lighter paint and j murray has a correct color

Your local M1 Garand

I think we all know what’s best, the nicky bigs m1 helmet!535F8DEE-05C9-49FB-8D1B-B2C6C92E1E68.jpeg.42cf2bf3d808640b86ec290ed9783fb6.jpeg284807BA-5B9A-4F8B-ACAC-14E840F17089.jpeg.0ce91e1a8c7339190fb5aae475b14522.jpeg

They made their helmets with plastic, right? 

3 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Ok. Sorry to drop a bomb like that and leave… 🤣 It really came down to those darn Repro liners. He bought the renenacter special which was 85.

And with correctness I’m not surprised at all the jMurray is superb.

J Murray offers a ton of parts for helmets that I have yet to see anywhere else. Including cork, bales and other uncommon items and paint. Pricing doesn’t seem excessive either as far as I can tell. I have been reading his pub notes/ subject blogs on various aspects of the m1. So many good enteries on there and I am not even a portion of the way through 

eaglerunner88

J. Murray is hands down the best one stop shop for all WWII helmet needs. And a genuine great person as well.

On 7/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, eaglerunner88 said:

J. Murray is hands down the best one stop shop for all WWII helmet needs. And a genuine great person as well.

I do absolutely agree I have ordered some things from him.

eaglerunner88

You can also send him an original liner which he will gut and add new webbing to and ship back. Same goes for a shell; he'll sew on the web chinstraps you choose and will recork/paint if desired.

I really wanted to have jmurray restore this one helmet but like 2 weeks before I got the helmet he stop excepting new jobs. I going to Alexander and son but his paint is little dark and it was $130 for a full restoration and he use's JB weld to cover up the stress carcks.

Pass on the repros or clones. Real ones are out there. I have a few front seam that need work and sell them. THey are swivel bail. Go on Fb. There are helmet restores there. 

Check out and contact Tyler Kuykendall. He does restorations and paints helmets.