Helmet liner question

cerick1450

Hello

I recently picked up this helmet liner.  It is a early war westinghouse with ends flded in at the nape strap.  It came with a double wire sweatband, Nape and a brown rivet flat buckle chinstrap.  (i did not get a picture of the chinstrap.)  Nape is marked as well.  Suspension is marked J&J.  Double wire is marked .  it has uncoated A washers which put it around late 42-early 43.  Question I have is the P on the front..  What would this be for?

Thank you..

IMG_4609.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4611.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

FT.Monmouth1943

Reminds me of the P in some PW stencils from the war. Here’s a photo of similar Ps being worn that I found online. Just a WAG, but maybe it was worn by POWs doing construction or similar work where there was risk of head injuries? Regardless, it’s still a very nice early war liner.

- Jakob

AB8F677C-7D0E-40E0-9E0A-A0302F171E2C.jpeg.a79d05ab1f04014ecd4cc92601192bd0.jpeg

When I was a kid, my dad was stationed at FT. McPherson, Atlanta, GA in the early 60s. The post had cleanup details made up of stockade prisoners. These consisted of 4 to 6 men and two MPs carrying shotguns and .45s, much like chain gangs that were seen in the South. These prisoners wore un-bloused fatigues and had a white "P" painted on the pant legs and front and back of the shirt. They also had a white "P" painted on their helmet liners much like your liner. Sorry, no pictures.

Photographers wore a "P" brassard early in WWII. While I think the P on the helmet liner is for prisoner, it COULD denote a photographer.

Allan