Medal and Ribbon Group to a WWII Merchant Marine Officer with Post WWII Coast Guard Service

Allan H.

When collectors look to tell the story of the US Armed Forces through medal and insignia collecting, the US Coast Guard and the US Merchant Marine representation is often times lacking. This is one of the more interesting groupings that I have seen to an officer who served in the US Merchant Marine in World War II, and later served as an officer in the US Coast Guard. The grouping is named to Richard T. Houlette. Commander Houlette began his service in the Merchant Marine during World War II. It appears that immediately after the war, he transferred to the US Coast Guard where he would serve out the remainder of his better than 30 year career.

The group is stellar with original named color wallet cards for the Combat Bar, Defense War Zone, Atlantic War Zone, and Pacific War Zone. There are six WWII vintage ribbons for the veteran with the four previously mentioned ribbons as well as the WWII Victory Medal ribbon and the Merchant Marine Victory Medals. These wallet cards are VERY tough to find. The grouping has a five place medal bar which includes the WWII Victory Medal, National Defense, Korea Service Medal, Korea UN medal, and the Merchant Marine Victory Medal. Commander Houlette also earned a USCG Pistol Marksmanship medal that was not mounted with the other medals. Also in the group is a USCG Command at Sea Badge and a matched pair of USCG Commander shoulder boards with beautiful bullion USCG shields. I believe the Command at Sea and the shoulder boards to be Vietnam era.

Probably the best piece in the grouping is CDR Houlette’s Merchant Marine Officer’s cap device that is still attached to the black, woven cap band. The badge appears to be made of stamped silver and is made of three pieces plus the screw nuts, which incidentally, are the same type as found on WWII USMC EG&A devices.

I posted the medal bar elsewhere on the forum, but it was suggested that the group ought to be shared here as well. Thanks to the forum member that suggested it so that CDR Houlette's service can be remembered.

Allan

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

H3.jpg

H4.jpg

H5.jpg

H6.jpg

H7.jpg

H8.jpg

H9.jpg

H10.jpg

H11.jpg

It appears that CDR Houlette's ribbon group shows the following:

Top Bar- WWII Victory, National Defense, Korea Service

Middle Bar- Korea UN, Merchant Marine Defense War Zone, MM Combat 

Bottom Bar- MM Atlantic War Zone, Pacific War Zone, MM WWII Victory.

I think that it is quite amusing that his ribbons would start with a WWII Victory and end with a WWII Victory. I should mention that this man had a long and successful career where he made a relatively high rank and had a successful command at sea. This man was no slouch, yet you do not see a single award. He simply served during a time when medals weren't handed out for completing tours etc.

Allan

manayunkman

I love the bar Allan, very unique and interesting how the Navy was very tight fisted on its award policy.

The colors are mesmerizing.