M35 Double Decal Luftwaffe

corpsman5

Unfortunately, I do not know who brought this helmet home.  10+ years ago, my dad was browsing at the annual Hwy 127 yard sale (a week long series of yard sales that run from Maine to Alabama), and he came across a WWII German Helmet.  It had been painted over black, but you could still see evidence of the double decals.  After a little bit of quick thinking, I told by dad to go ahead and buy it for me.  At the time, I thought the black paint was post-war, but ended up thinking otherwise after trying to remove it.  Anyway, I took the helmet to an acquaintance of mine to have the black paint removed to see what was hiding underneath.  He had a heck of a time removing the black paint, but he did a fantastic job.  I'm so glad I chose to remove the paint, because it was hiding a beautifully preserved helmet underneath.  Unfortunately, my dad is no longer with me, so this helmet is very special to me, since he found it.  Every time I look at it, it reminds me of him calling me to tell me about it.  I wish I could locate the before pics, but haven't been able to.  If I do, I will add them to the post.  Until then, I hope you enjoy the 'after' pics of my beautiful  Double-Decal M35 First Pattern Luftwaffe Stahlhelm.

IMG_4288.JPG.8213429f323507e2f5643338aa2e9d59.JPG

IMG_4287.JPG.76b0a375804ebe178457af5706478ee2.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG.e8cf3d49cd22e90e3cf2ac3212fbdc4c.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG.d98df6d1b88a9ca2c2bfd59e79f36741.JPG

IMG_4291.JPG.da2a8283a5886b55b0d1bd60bb80b3d3.JPG

That s a great helmet, and a great story.  I too have many pieces that remind me of my Mom, who always helped me collect. 

Many of the black painted helmets were used by various fire departments in Europe after the war. (one Polish fire Co. all used black painted FJ helmets.)

Unfortunately- without a direct US veteran connection I will have to close this topic - but please feel free to post this one on our sister site: https://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php   where it can be appreciated!

Thanks-

Jerry